Author Topic: Little Bank  (Read 5235 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Little Bank
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:43:52 am »
I'll start off by saying that I ridiculously overpaid for this little tiny bank. But hey, ya live and learn. I should have asked for dimensions but I thought, "It can't be that little." I think it's about 3"x3"x1". Anyways, I have been searching high and low on google patents and can't find the patent. I was hoping the patent wizards around here could help me out. The style of the words "Tacoma, Wash" remind me of the other stuff I have from 1910-ish. Thanks for any help with dating!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300513539367&si=cwgtvqOmS7zeG7E%252Febp7koPohzs%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Oh, by the way, I have been searching for one of those curio coffee tables to make a display of some of my little Tacoma items. I have not been able to find the one I want. Someone on here posted a picture of theirs a few months back but I can't find the thread. I believe it was Curious or Wendy. If you have a display in your coffee table, please show it again and let me know where ya found your table!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:46:23 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

Re: Little Bank
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:54:34 am »
Hosman, the bank is marked "Pat. Pend." which really means nothing.  Some makers put that on their objects to enhance desirability in the market.  Looks like newer plywood construction so I think it was a souvenir type item for kids and not really a good usable bank.  Looks like a neat item though.

The neatest curio cabinet table I ever saw was one made from an old treadle sewing machine case. The drawers were on each side, the center had a pull out drawer made with a glass top over it, the iron legs were totally removed, and the whole unit was lowered to coffee table height.  I only hope the original treadle was in such bad shape only the case could have been repurposed.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:35:30 pm »
Twenty-two isn't that bad since you're collecting Tacoma items. It will be a nice addition to your hoard!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:17:51 pm »
Darn, too bad it probably doesn't have a patent. Would have been cool to know it's age. I think it was a souvenir item for kids, it can't fit more than 15 coins or so. It is also nailed shut with two tiny nails so it can't be easily opened. Thanks for the input guys.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:20:33 pm »
You have probably thought of this but Banks used to give out items like this for opening and account or at fairs etc.  Maybe it was a promo item for a travel agency or a rail line between Seattle and Tacoma...  Something like that.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:35:31 pm »
I agree Oceans, probably a little hand out of some sort.
I went to grab this little bank last night and some kind of little bugs literally just flowed out of the hole. It was disgusting and I was squishing bugs for about 20 minutes. I think they were just some kind water flea or something. They weren't animal fleas or lice, I have seen these in moist areas before like by the kitchen sink. Anyways, I thought I would take this opportunity to remind everyone to check for bugs and pests on antiques! I also recommend using food grade diatomaceous earth. It's not a liquid, so it won't harm paint or finishes. It's not a chemical, so it's good for the environment. I just put it on stuff, leave it a few days and then wipe it off.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:21:33 pm by hosman321 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:49:52 pm »
Oh YUCK! Wonder if they are bed bugs. Take one of the dead ones, look at it under your loupe and then try to ID it online so that you know what you are dealing with.

Here's a site to identify the bugs with pictures:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:10:41 pm »
I would like to see what your bugs look like.  I am familiar with powder post beetles (which yours are not) that leave pin holes in antique wood.  I always bag the smalls or test the holes to see if they are active.  If active, I spray them with a plastic tube on the nozzle to get in the holes and always leave it out of the house until I am sure.  I inspect everything before it goes in the house.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:17 pm »
I've got a good bug story. When I bought my house, I had seen very few bugs in the first week, which surprised me for a rural house that hadn't been lived in for six months. I saw this one bug crawling along a seam where the wooden wall meets the wooden ceiling. So I thought I'd give it a good spray, and walked out of the room. When I walked back in again there was a three foot wide waterfall of solid bugs pouring out of the wall! Turns out there was a nest of winged ants holed up in the wall! They look like termits with a waistline. It took me three weeks to completely erradicate the lil' buggers. Boric acid finally did them in.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 09:03:01 am »
Ugh Tales....  Almost exact same experience in my house when I moved in.  Luckily it was in an enclosed porch area that was elevated and was able to get them from above and below.  About a month later, I found a bunch of old wood near the house that was half buried under a porch which explained the problem. 

Makes me shudder to think of it!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 09:18:40 am »
Yuck guys   I don't like anything with more than four legs unless it is furniture!!! ;D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 03:07:05 pm »
Oh YUCK! Wonder if they are bed bugs. Take one of the dead ones, look at it under your loupe and then try to ID it online so that you know what you are dealing with.

Here's a site to identify the bugs with pictures:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740
[/quote

If Hosman was  squishing bugs bugs for 20 mins, what will she see through her loupe?  ;D

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 09:14:48 pm »
Oh they definitely weren't bed bugs. They are super tiny, about half or a third the size of a flea. They are all tiny squished specks now but maybe I can get a pic. I'll shake the bank really good and see if any are still alive. I'll look up common bugs later tonight cause I know I have seen them before...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 10:29:34 pm »
We had a cabin in California that we would only get to once a year after we inherited it.  Went to stay there when we were getting it ready to sell.  First night we were in the antique bed and I swat at something at my nose.  All of a sudden heard something....turned on the lights and there were hundreds and hundreds of moths....going up my night shirt, pants legs, the kids were screaming with the same thing in their rooms.

Seems some type of moth that is common in that area had just hatched and come out....We "slept" under the sheets the rest of the night and stayed at a neighboring cabin until we sold it to them (they let us totally clean it up and then said they wanted it/paid us what we asked for before putting it on the market).  I still get the heebie-jeebies thinking about it. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 11:07:33 pm »
Oh man KC, I would have died. There is only one bug on earth I am terrified of and it's moths. No problem with spiders, snakes, bees or anything else. I catch everything and put them out. But I see a moth in the house and I run and hide.

A friend of mine owns a cabin on a lake about an hour away. Every year at the same time millions upon millions of ladybugs fill their cabin. It's horrible. They have done everything and they still find their way inside somehow. We'd walk in and just crunch them. They try to time their visits for just after the swarm, so that all they have to do is take in a garbage can and clean up all the dead ones.  :-\