Author Topic: Another what the heck is this item thread.  (Read 19840 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Another what the heck is this item thread.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 09:24:08 am »
Mario, it took me a while to figure it out too.  The rounded piece, bottom pic shows what you see in the bell shaped item at the very top. If you just drop it into the bell it rests on the grooves just below the rounded piece at the top. The nut shaped piece is the bottom. that is what might have an attachment of some sort.  So if you look at it all together the portion below the grooves is inside the bell.  While this is clear to me it may not be to others. Sorry !!

waywardangler

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 10:32:04 am »
OK, so I get it now.  That bell shaped brass bottom is open and that other brass tube with the hex nut on the end is hanging in there?

I would like to see some size comparisons with something next to it so I can see the scale.  Maybe a shot of it with a ruler.  I would also like to see the two holes that are mentioned and the whole thing taken apart with pics of all the pieces.

I am also thinking maybe it is part of a candle snuffer.  I think the brass nut is removed, the threaded end dropped through the hole, and the nut is threaded back on.  The only part missing is the handle.  I would like to know the diameter of the bell, the length of the bell, and whether or not the brass tube could be threaded on as I mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:35:12 am by waywardangler »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 10:47:20 am »
Wayward it is only open at the top and the other piece just drops in and rests there. He said that it would wiggle if you moved the piece so it is just hanging loose and resting on the groove that you see below the round piece.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 11:01:49 am »
Confusion abounds here!   :D
I get the bit about the brass tube fitting into the centre of the bell, and the nut sitting at the bottom (for some reason), but Baulde mentions a washer, now does that mean what possibly looks like the collar, and so does that come away?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 01:58:12 pm »
Here is how I think he described it.

And I think the tube will pull out if it is forced a wee bit. Probably "crud" dried on the outside of it.

OOPs, forgot - if the "washer" and the "knurled ring" are not the same thing the the "washer" will be between the top of the "tube" and the "knurled ring".
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:11:29 pm by cogar »

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 02:48:43 pm »
cogar is almost right on.

Ill get more photos today. Only that "washer"(collar and knurled ring are all the same item) screws onto the top of the bell. The bell is sealed on the bottom. It is only a brass shape. It is flat on the bottom with the peerage stamp.

The washer screws onto a tube that goes from the top of the bell to the bottom. The tube can spin in the bell.
The tube has threads right on the top of it.
The tube will not seem to pull out.
The washer screws down on this tube quite tight and it becomes very fixed in position and then the tube and washer then refuse to move or turn.
The washer/collar does not hold the tube in. The washer/collar screws on this tube(which can spin/turn when the collar is not screwed down) and the tube pulls up into the collar and then everything is "tight" the tube inside will not seem to pull out even with the force of the collar screwed onto it and trying to pull it out.

The extra "handle" type item is inserted into the top of the bell in the center of the washer that is screwed onto the top of the tube that will not come out of the bell. The handle item fits inside the tube that will not come out.

The nut on the end of the handle item sits on the bottom of the base of the brass bell when inserted.

Ill get more photos tonight as see if I cannot remove some of the confusion
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:59:34 pm by Baulde »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 03:03:55 pm »
Can you take a pic of the bottom and show it please?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 03:14:50 pm »
rough sketch of what I now think it looks like...

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 03:23:56 pm »
Why am I now thinking this is some type of oil reservoir or for some other liquid?  Maybe what is missing is a short brush that screwed into the nut end?  I don't know.  Nothing makes much sense.

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 03:28:40 pm »
I tried a rough diagram.

*edit*

I would not say it actually "Seals" against the tube at the top. there is a small space. So its not air tight. And that tube can be turned with your fingers when the "ring/washer/collar" is not screwed down.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 04:48:58 pm »
So then the tube tightens on to the collar and the collar tightens on to the bell ? The collar has to be loose before the tube will move ? And the tube has to be unscrewed from the collar to take it out completely?

waywardangler

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »
mart, the tube does not come out.  The turned brass cylinder with the nut end fits down inside the tube that stays in the bell.  That is how I understand it.

Baulde, I would like a pic of the bell without the knurled ring, the turned brass cylinder without the nut on it, measurements of everything, any mineral deposits noted on the inside of the bell or in the barrel of the turned brass cylinder, any smell noted inside the bell, or anything else you can think of.  Does the bell hold water without leaking?  I see it is made in two parts and not cast in one piece.  How deep is the bell and how long is the turned brass cylinder?  How do you know there are two slots on the tube at the bottom if it does not come out?

Another conundrum, I believe.

waywardangler

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »
•1947 British Industries Fair Advert for "Peerage". Brassware at its best. Manufacturers of "Peerage" Brassware in Furnishing, Reproduction, Gift and souvenir Groups. heath and Fireplace Equipment, Electrical Fittings, Pewterware, period Cabinet Brassfoundry, Home Safes for Savings Banks and Building Societies. Brassfoundry, Presswork, Spinning.  http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/Pearson-Page_Co

Any clues from what they made?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 07:00:12 pm »
Google searches on Peerage turned up a lot of decorative items and a lot of desk bells for me. All what I would call "light-duty" items, not industrial items. Basically household and small business items.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 10:38:39 pm »
Some more pictures.

The center handle part that inserts does not go all the way into the bottom of the object. it actually rests on the tiny lip. The tube inside has a bottom that is about 1/2 and inch above the bottom of the object. Not sure what is holding it in.

The poweder was not black as I remember it. It is more of a red-ish brown. It is non flamable, does not desolve in water. And does not come out of the "tube" in the center with the threads on it. It falls out around the edges of the tube right where the threads are. I cannot tell if the entire object is filled with this.

I can look down into the tube and there are two spots that look like they open up into the object but nothing comes out of them. I have not tried filling it with water as I do not know what effect this would have, and do not want to fill it with water just to test things out. Although I believe it would be able to hold the water and not leak.

The handle that inserts as you can see has a small nut that can be removed right on the end.