Author Topic: Another what the heck is this item thread.  (Read 19838 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Another what the heck is this item thread.
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2011, 07:44:19 am »
Baulde, take the knurled ring-nut off and then unscrew the tube out of the bell.

Unscrew it the same way you took the ring-nut off.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2011, 08:00:15 am »
Baulde, even with some substance in it, does the bell still make a 'chime' when struck?
And...you did say there are two holes at the bottom of that fixed tube structure, right?

Is it possible a piece or two that fit in there are missing and you have desk/shopkeepers bell?

Here's a German one, who's description sure 'rings a bell'

http://www.etsy.com/listing/47100489/antique-german-shopkeepers-bell-vintage

"weighted brass base-- sounds like fine sand...
the bell turns on the center post to change the tone.... very nice little piece---
ivory chopstick included"

waywardangler

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 08:40:46 am »
I do not think it is a desk bell.  Those are open on the bottom and have a dinger that hits the side of the bell at the bottom.  That is not the case here.  I agree with cogar that the center tube must be able to come out.  If not by unscrewing then by some other lock mechanism such as two pins fitting into slots (like the old style car taillight bulbs) that must be pushed down and turned and then lifted up.  That center tube does have to come out because it was put in there.  I would shine a bright small beam down the tube and see what is up.

Grasping at straws...an inkwell?  A quill pen holder or just a pen holder?  Maybe the nib is what is missing?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:17:34 am by waywardangler »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:47 am »
After much pondering I am still leaning toward the quill pen holder as well.  Bass desk accessories were very much an appealing item.  Most items around from this time period were for tools/kitchen and accessory.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 09:48:46 am »
If you check out the pics in the link I posted, the German bell is also enclosed. It is rung by striking the outside.
But it's the only one I've found so far that is similar.

waywardangler

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 10:08:15 am »
Yes, but the silver part of the bell is separated from the darker base.  That separation, which can be regulated by turning the center post, is what allows the sound to ring and carry.  If it was not separated, it would be a dull sound.  Try it out by holding any bell slightly above a tabletop and ding it with a spoon.  Now set the bell down on the table and ding it.  BIG difference.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:52:46 am by waywardangler »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2011, 10:41:18 am »
Gotcha!  ;) I see it now!

Should never try to figure something out with 4 hrs sleep  :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2011, 03:58:31 pm »
Baulde,,Take a bit of the red powder and mix with just a tiny bit of water and see what happens. Put it on something, piece of paper even, and see if it stains it.  If it does,, your item may be a container for Red Henna . Commonly used in India to decorate the skin,, it may have had an applicator tip screwed into the bottom of the tube which would have been removed to clean after application and the tube replaced.  I have looked at everything I can think of and thats the best I can think of that would fit the item.

waywardangler

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2011, 04:07:52 pm »
mart, why would an English firm make such an Indian object when India makes inordinate amounts of brass objects?  The theory sounds good but the making it for henna sounds flawed.  

I believe Baulde stated the red stuff does not dissolve in water. Reply #29
The poweder was not black as I remember it. It is more of a red-ish brown. It is non flamable, does not desolve in water.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:09:27 pm by waywardangler »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 04:47:51 pm »
Guess I should have re-read everything before posting,, Just drives me nuts to wonder about something. Went through red powders till I was seeing red !! Most of those were spices that were common.

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2011, 04:48:37 pm »
Correct the powder did not dissolve in water. Did not discolor anything either. I tried mixing it pretty good as well. If it was a pen holder it would make for a very heavy pen. That brass "handle" is uncomfortable to hold like a pen.... but it is possible. It looks like the tube was put in and then the base was sealed onto the bell. Would explain how it got into the object.

It does not ring any any way. Unless a "thud" is a ring. The powder is VERY plentiful inside hard to tell how much though.

Xrays I believe can penetrate brass, should be able to make something out when comparing brass to brass in an xray. Where as the xray vs a person will not be as powerful.

I have tried to unscrew the tube with the knurled ring off. But it just spins forever and does not tighten or loosen in any way.

???

*edit*
I was thinking, if this was a quill pen holder... would they really be making them AFTER 1945 ? Since that is the date range for that peerage stamp...

Still strange, wonder if I will ever know for SURE what this thing is.

Ill try to go back and edit the first post with modified information when I have some extra time to sit down in the next day or two
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:00:22 pm by Baulde »

waywardangler

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2011, 07:26:40 pm »
They still make quill pen holders today.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 07:31:09 pm »
I looked through everything I could find with the same mark yours has. Even ones in the UK and nothing even remotely resembles your item. All I found were the typical decorative items that you see everywhere.  Thats the reason I started looking at the powder types. One was an opiate, jewelers rouge like I said on page 3, henna and the red oxide powder that is used in polishing leaded and stained glass  almost everything else was a spice . Not much on this item is giving a clue. I am assuming that whatever it is, it was made for a specific purpose and use.  What that is ??  I have no idea !! I give up !!

waywardangler

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2011, 02:38:20 am »
What if what we are looking at is not all there?  That brass "handle" still looks like a finial to me.  Maybe there is something missing between that finial and that brass base.  Peerage made candle holders.  Maybe something like my crude drawing with the dotted part missing.  Just wondering...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2011, 07:43:34 am »
Way back when they used ground graphite for writing puposes as well....it was called plumbago (like the flower).

When you take the handle apart does it appear it has any wear on it other than the piece it is currently attached to?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!