Author Topic: Another what the heck is this item thread.  (Read 19848 times)

Baulde

• View Profile
Re: Another what the heck is this item thread.
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 10:45:51 pm »
more pictures

waywardangler

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 10:50:58 pm »
I can see clearly now, the mystery is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark shrouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Shiny brassy day.

Hmmmm, is the handle hollow and is there a hole in the nut or is that just a solid end nut that threads on?  Straighten out a paper clip and see if the openings you see in the tube are actually openings into the bell body void.  Curious minds want to know.  The reddish stuff reminds me of red rouge used in polishing brass.  Is that what it is?

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 10:55:55 pm »
Photo with the nut. There is a hole in the middle of it as if it was meant for something to be inserted into the "handle" and then held in with said nut.

waywardangler

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 11:06:26 pm »
The "handle" appears to be three parts...a top piece with the round knob, the middle, and the threaded insert.

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 11:29:45 pm »
Nope only two parts. Tried taking it apart right there but it looks solid. That tiny lip is where that handle rests on the inner tube.

I took a video of myself disassembling it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM7ej0NODvI

waywardangler

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 11:47:15 pm »
Great video!  The bell is much larger than I thought. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 11:48:30 pm »
Could that powder be the powdered remains of an old gasket? Great idea to do a video.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:51:22 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 11:51:35 pm »
Could that powder be the powdered remains of an old gasket?

Seriously doubt it. It feels like there is a significant amount in the object. As if it was to add weight. If it is not part of its function. I can shake a large amount of it around.

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 12:51:18 am »
I can see clearly now, the mystery is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark shrouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Shiny brassy day.

Hmmmm, is the handle hollow and is there a hole in the nut or is that just a solid end nut that threads on?  Straighten out a paper clip and see if the openings you see in the tube are actually openings into the bell body void.  Curious minds want to know.  The reddish stuff reminds me of red rouge used in polishing brass.  Is that what it is?

Ill have to try the wire trick later, I am no longer at the parents place. There is a space in the handle at the back of the nut. It threads in but it is probably 1/4 deeper then the end of the nut.

waywardangler

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 01:27:36 am »
I am now starting to believe the bell base is part of an alcohol lamp/burner and the brass insert has nothing to do with it.  I have no idea what the crud inside is or is from.

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 01:35:09 am »
I am now starting to believe the bell base is part of an alcohol lamp/burner and the brass insert has nothing to do with it.  I have no idea what the crud inside is or is from.

would be quite the coincidence that the "handle" is not part of it Since its almost the perfect length to be inserted. And the "lip" on the handle is a perfect fit to stop it on the top of the inner tube. And prevents it from inserting any further. with a bit of a gap under it.... perhaps for whatever gets inserted into that nut ?
To "pick up" something that is stored in the main object ?

waywardangler

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 02:02:42 am »
I agree, but what does the 'handle' do?  In its' present form, it serves no purpose other than fits good.  The handle fits...that is all it does.  It does not hold anything because it falls out if turned upside down.  I am playing the devil's advocate here because we do not know, and you said this yourself, if the two go together.  If the tube has openings to the large bell space, and the tube does not come out (unscrew at all?), then the bell must hold a liquid IMO.  If the tube screws out, giving access to the larger bell opening, then the bell could hold a powder IMO.  What the powder is in there now is a good question.  Does it smell like anything?  Is it really fine like dust?  If nothing comes out the tube just only around the tube edge and bell lip, then I would have to believe the tube has no openings to the larger bell space.  It is a closed wall tube.  And if that is the case, then nothing about this object makes sense.

Baulde

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 02:11:59 am »
I think the handle may hold something that gets dipped into the object and then removed for "work" ?

The bottom of the tube has what appears to be openings for whatever liquid or powder to enter said tube. Might just be plugged up. Or empty, and the powder is for weight.

I have tried unscrewing this tube but it only spins around in circles and does not tighten or loosen off. There was no disconcernable smell from the powder. Its not super fine, more like sand only all redish.

The powder only comes out from around the tube when the top washer is removed. Ill have to try poking around in the bottom of the tube.

Wonder if an xray would show the inside of it.... but I don't have any kind of access to an xray :P

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 07:31:09 am »
Can`t X-ray metal,, it will only look solid and give an outline,,,unless they have come a long way since I did them. MRI or CT scan,, maybe but I doubt that would help much.   I wonder if the tube had a small brush attached and the powder is jewelers rouge ?  There could have been a container that the bell sat in and the holes allowed the rouge to escape in small amounts then applied with the brush.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 07:39:39 am »
Ooops,, thought you said the holes were in the bottom of the bell. Had to go back and read again,,they are in the tube and the bell is just a container? Still ,, I have thought and thats all I can come up with !