Author Topic: Need help identifing these two pieces  (Read 5416 times)

jgoff0015

• View Profile
Need help identifing these two pieces
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:30:00 am »
About a year ago i posted on one of the pieces, I was told it looked like a American French Provincial Chiffonier.  So i have tried researching it to see if i could find any info on them and i can not seem to find anything on it.  I have finally gotten the second piece and taken pictures of it.  I was thinking this would be a buffett but once again i can not find anthing on it.  I have searched both pieces and could not find any markings or than what looks to be piece numbers that are written in chalk.  My mom was thinking it could have been a bedroom set after looking at some different piece on line.  I bought the highboy ( or that is what i call it ) and my mother purchased the lowboy at an estate sale about 3 years ago.  The son of the couple had no idea about the piece or when they were bought, or where they came from.  My mother is selling her piece and we would like to sell them together as a set.  Bu we have no idea what to call them or even a price to ask.  Since we live in a small town and no place here to help i am hoping someone can shed some more light on these pieces. 
Thank You
Jamie

Note the first two pics are of the highboy and the last two are of the lowboy.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need help identifing these two pieces
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:55:14 pm »
I had that same set but different pieces when I was in school.  That was in the 60`s. They had different styles of bedroom furniture in the same collection and you could choose the particular pieces you liked.. I would just call them a chest for the highboy and dresser( Lowboy). My dresser had a mirror and yours may have the holes that would be left if the mirror were removed . Can`t remember the maker, its been too many years ago. They were quite good sturdy pieces and I still see them occassionally. Fruitwood was the finish I believe.

jgoff0015

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:37:41 am »
I went back and looked real closely at the dresser and there are screw holes where it looks like there was a mirror attatched at some point.  That has helped me a lot, still trying to find out the manufacture which was probably on the mirror at some point...... and of course we did not get that with the dresser.  Thank you for your help.  I am on my way to discovering more about these pieces. 

Thanks Again
jamie

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:22:00 am »
I had the bed, nightstand , dresser and chest but my chest was the more traditional style with just the large drawers. It didn`t have the small drawers !!  My dresser was like yours though.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:20:02 pm »
This style furniture was popular in mid to late 60's and mass produced.

Still nice furniture!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jgoff0015

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:37:11 am »
Thank you guys for helping!  I am getting closer in identifying these pieces.  Still trying to figure out who made them.  They may not be antiques but by the time I figure out the history they may be lol.... We finally got in contact with a lady at an antique shop that is going to help, weather permitting!  I appreciate all of your feedback! Once again Thank you!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:48 am »
May not be antiques yet, but you can call them vintage !!

jgoff0015

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:05 pm »
Any idea on where the manufacture might have marked these pieces?  I have looked all over and can not seem to find it!  I have seen lots of pictures of chest with all drawers but none with doors!  Lots of information to look through! 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 05:28:27 am »
I only remember mine having a number on the back of the mirror. That was probably the style number. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 11:01:19 pm »
Unfortunately, alot of the mass produced items had paper labels on the insides and/or undersides of the drawers that easily have worn off with age! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jgoff0015

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:41:24 pm »
Thank you to all of you for your info!  One last thing any ideas on an asking price for each of these?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 11:44:45 pm »
If I am correct in the south, the distributor LEVITZ sold alot of these types/styles of furniture.  Don't know if that helps!

jgoff0015

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 09:06:45 pm »
Thanks again KC but i unfortunatly had no luck in finding anything.  I am still trying.  I do have one question that you might be able to help on.  The magnetic door latch in these two pieces says AJAX, patent pending.  I found another picture of an AJAX latch that showed pat no. 2990210 on it, but the AJAX was written two different ways.  I researched the patent number and it shows that the patent was issued to an AJAX HARDWARE MANUFACTURING COMPANY in 1961, in my further research i was also finding an AJAX MANUFACTURING COMPANY.  I was wondering if these were the same companies just a change in the name somewhere along the line?  I had never heard of them and dont know much about the other Hardware.  Any insite is greatly appreciated.  I am still learning so thanks for the patience.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 07:16:32 pm »
Probably same company. Not uncommon for a company to start under one name and as they expand and grow they can add to it or drop part of the name.  They could have started out as Ajax Hardware MFG. and later as they expanded their products felt like "Hardware" in the name would limit their business to only hardware so it was dropped.  Same thing goes for Ajax MFG. Co., could have started out that way and found that the specialty hardware market was more profitable so they added hardware to the name.  I will look around a bit tomorrow and see what I can find.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 12:13:50 am »
Amerock acquired Ajax Hardware Company and the National Lock Hardware Company
http://www.rusticahardware.com/pages.php?pageid=11