Author Topic: FYI - I Know this doesn't have to do with antiques....  (Read 8356 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
FYI - I Know this doesn't have to do with antiques....
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:27:19 am »
I know that this doesn't have to do with antiques and moderators you can delete this if you choose....I can understand.

I just wanted to ask for every one to keep Egypt in your thoughts/prayers at this time.

My parents went on a church trip to Egypt over 1 1/2 weeks ago and are in Cairo and I haven't heard from them in 7 days and don't expect to since all phones/internet/satellite communications have been cut.  To say the least, the situation there today is grim.

I was in Moscow,Russia, (just 2 streets over from the Kremlin), when the coup attempt happened in 1993 and know that you can be okay even tho the US Embassy closed.  I was stuck there for 6 weeks before I could get out and the Russian people took great care of me!

Our Egyptian friends on this site, I truly hope for resolution and peace in your country.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

Re: FYI - I Know this doesn't have to do with antiques....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:37:25 am »
OMG, KC! I sincerely hope everything is OK with your parents in Egypt. That is tough having someone you love in a situation out of control.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and I wish a safe trip home for them.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:38:14 am »
KC - My prayers are with you and your family.  May they and all their friends get home safe, sound and soon.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:52:59 am »
KC I have been to Egypt twice. If there is one thing I can say, it is that the people in Egypt are kind and good-hearted. What we see here on the news is always the most extreme version of events in the middle east. Hang in there, I'm sure the people guiding your folks trip will be careful to avoid the present hot-spots and that you will hear from them soon. *hugs!* Let us know and my prayers will be with them.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 12:25:57 pm »
Prayers on the way!!!!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 12:51:44 pm »
I don't really have a God to pray to , KC, so I'll be saying one to yours. I'm sure he has ears for agnostics as well.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:27:27 pm »
Prayers & wishes for the safe return of your family members , KC .

Perhaps you've already done so , but calling the U.S. State Dept (1-888-407-4747) regarding missing U.S. citizens might glean some results (or @ least 'put your folks on the radar') .
They've helped me locate 'missing' U.S. citzens in the past (during the 'fall of the wall') .
U.S. Embassy in Cairo website seems to be down @ this moment , as are most in Egypt .

Since the unrest does have a component of special interest for religious groups (sharia law) , there is some cause for concern .

I bet they're just hiding out in safe places , though .....

These are the things that grey the hair ....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 03:34:54 pm »
Got news from a hotel I tracked down that they had stayed at in another town - and that they are safe and are out of Cairo.  The military will not allow them back in until things are hopefully under control.  Still haven't spoken to them personally.

They were to stay in downtown Marriott in the area where all the things you see on tv are going on - all cell phones/internet/downtown phone systems are down from the government orders.

Thank each and every one of you all for your prayers/thoughts/concerns.  Will let you know more once we hear it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:38:44 pm »
Great news!!! So glad to hear that they are safe and well!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 04:01:14 pm »
Didn`t get to read your post earlier but will say prayers anyway,,!!  Glad they are safe !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 04:34:34 pm »
FANTASTIC KC!!!  Bet you'll sleep better tonight!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 07:41:06 pm »
Im late to the thread KC and am happy you learn your parents are ok.
Hoping you personally hear from them and they return safely to you soon.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your parents.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:41:54 pm »
I do find it inspiring that today a group of young Egyptian men formed a human barricade around the Cairo museum to protect it as the rioting was going on right next door to the museum. The Cairo museum is home to the most spectacular collection of Egyptian antiquities on earth. Amazing to hear of these guy risking their own lives to protect their heritage in a time of instability.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 09:10:12 pm »
KC, I just got to see your post and want to add my thoughts and prayers for your family and yourself. You must have experienced so much relief just hearing that they were out of harms way. Please keep us updated and be sure to keep a positive attitude.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 09:28:11 pm »
So glad they are safe and I hope you hear from them soon! What a scary experience to go through. If this truly is a revolution and the country changes drastically they can say, "I was there." Which is pretty cool, in my opinion.
I also agree totally with tales. It seems (maybe I'm wrong) like the people are doing this because they want change in the country they love. I hope they know better than to destroy their history. Then again, riots and looting are great times for criminals to take advantage of the situation and make money. I hope they don't lose priceless artifacts like Iraq did...