Author Topic: FYI - I Know this doesn't have to do with antiques....  (Read 8355 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: FYI - I Know this doesn't have to do with antiques....
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 09:46:11 pm »
One problem is that Egypt is heavily dependent upon tourism. A revolution which is taking place in part because of high unemployment is going to make the employment situation worse.

KC here's an article on American tourists in Cairo. They are advising tourists to stay in place and playing the video, it sounds like major tourist hotels are being guarded.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/01/28/egypt.stranded.travelers/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 12:56:22 am »
Thanks for the update on the family situation overseas , KC .

Now that the situation is a (little) bit more relaxed , rest assured that I'll commit resources , such as illustrated in the below image , if needed !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 09:42:53 pm »
Fancy you always make me laugh!

The lastest:  My dad called me today - his words were "Hi, the situation here has drastically turned for the worse".  They are on a large boat on the Nile (along with their friends/companions on the church tour) and are not allowed to get off.  The US ordered US Citizens to leave yesterday but the problem is no planes are coming in or departing.  They are off of the port of Luxor (the next main port down from Cairo) and have been attempting to get a charter plane in from Israel - the desire is to get the group to Tel Aviv. The airport there is a small one for commuters and they were scheduled to be in Cairo and leave out of there on Friday (which aint' gonna happen)! They are 8 hours ahead of us and we will know more withing the next 8 hours.

Mom/Dad tried sounding hopeful and didn't want us kids to worry....but you could hear it in their voices while they were trying to be strong for me.  They know I won't hesitate to try and get over near there if need be and they don't want me coming.  I am already starting to pool resources that are calling in to me on their own (I am not initiating it at this time so I won't get blessed out when they get back - they already tried scolding me for something on the phone! LOL  Imagine this...they are in a war zone and trying to scold me at my age !  LOL  My kids got a kick outta that one!)

Will let you know more as things unfold!  Thanks again for all the support.  and Fancy....keep the pics coming!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 01:28:21 am »
Not to divert you from all that's going on KC ..... but I was wondering if you know the maker of this chair .... thinking of getting one for somebody I know .......
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 01:53:25 am »
Glad your folks are OK, thanks for keeping us updated.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 03:09:13 am »
UPDATE on my parents: It is 2:56am our time and Mom just called, they just landed in Amman, Jordan! They are waiting to unboard (Tel Aviv wouldn't let charter land there) then re-board a plane to Tel Aviv. Awaiting their call so I can book them home!! (They cannot book flights from there in Jordan - computers are down!?!?!

They apparently had quite a scare getting of the ship and heading to the airport to get out - said she would explain later (had to get off phone to have customs come through plane).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 03:18:34 am »
YESSSSSSS!! Woohoo! A big happy high-five goin' out to you KC!! GREAT news!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:16 am »
Fantastic KC!!!  It may be uncomfortable but at least they are safe.  I had to laugh at the scolding.  If it were my Dad he'd be asking how my car is running and reminding me it's time to change the oil.  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 10:06:44 am »
Thanks for the good news update KC.
With the situation becoming worse in Egypt I'm thankful that your report is positive.
By your description they seem like first class parents and I can't wait to hear you guys are reunited and this mess is all behind you.What a time that will be.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 11:07:49 am »
UPDATE:  My parents were able to talk to me at length now that they are in TelAviv.  

In the dark 4 buses pulled up to the dock/ship pulled in.  The drapes were drawn on the buses and they had to be totally quiet loading. (Could hear gunshots afar.)  They drove back roads in the dark, slowly and quietly to get to the airport.  The fourth bus' security radioed and reported their bus had been taken over by rebels (Don't know what else to call them) and were taking all jewelry/wallets/purses, etc.  The 4th Bus never arrived by the time my parent's plane took off.......Please keep these people in your prayers/thoughts/etc.  (NOTE:  My parent's tour group ended up being on the first 3 buses and the 4th was another tour group on the ship!)

They flew into Hamman, Jordan because the charter couldn't land in Tel Aviv (she said it was considered an enemy flight).  They totally un-loaded the plane, went through security/plane was checked, and they then re-boarded the same plane/same crew and flew to Tel Aviv.

I spent all night arranging to get them 3 of the last 5 tickets for days out of Israel.  Everytime I would hit "continue" the price would go up $900 a ticket.  I would look on another computer and the lower/original price was still there.  I called and talked to 2 people at the airline and was ready to tell them to "Kiss my Grits" when a phenomenal employee got on and refunded the money and secured their seats!  So...just waiting for the ticket counter to open at 8pm TelAviv Time (1 more hour) to insure they get their tickets.

The shame of the whole thing....they never got to see the Pyramids and bring me back some sand!  :(  They did see southern parts of Egypt and said it was exquisite!  When I pick them up at he airport tomorrow should I take a boombox and play "Walk like an Egyptian"?

Ya'll just remember to take a step back...look at who is in your life and love them a little deeper!  Life is precious!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 11:33:42 am »
OMGosh KC - So Glad your folks are OK.  I'm just sick about that 4th bus.  Hopefully they will be OK. 

Way down on the list of things, I'm also hoping they left the wedding rings and good jewelry at home! 
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 11:41:46 am »
Great news KC!
I no longer have any parents, my mother died the day after my birthday last year ... I do miss them both, a lot more than I probably ever thought that I would, so, as you say, treasure what you have.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 12:15:11 pm »
Holy cow KC, that is a seriously amazing story. When your parents are home safe and sound, be sure to write down every detail while it is fresh in their minds. Your family is going to be reading about it for generations.

I just happen to have some sand/pebbles from the base of the pyramids. Message me your address, I would like to send some to you and your parents.  :)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 12:59:09 pm »
So happy to see the glad tidings , KC .

To an old oddball like me , it's always wonderful when a vacation turns out to be an adventure - and everyone survives with their hide intact .
Hope this happens for Egypt & everyone there .

Way nice 5-star gesture , talesof !

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 09:10:49 pm »
UPDATE:
Ya'll just remember to take a step back...look at who is in your life and love them a little deeper!  Life is precious!

Life does seems to give us these reminders along the way doesn't it KC.
Glad to hear things are turning out for you.