Author Topic: Advertisement Bag  (Read 1674 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Advertisement Bag
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:36:17 am »
My husband and I decided it's not of the time period because there are no addresses, but I know it's over 30yrs old. I love it. I don't think there's any value, but it makes me laugh when I look at the prices.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Advertisement Bag
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:37:40 am »
Just more pictures of the adds.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:45:04 pm »
I have seen some shopping bags like that in the past...they are very amusing.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

AngelaH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:53:59 pm »
I have a 1927 Eaton's catalogue. The prices seem hilarious by today's standards but when you consider the average wage then, things didn't cost any less!

I have an old radio that in 1928 sold for over $325. The average wage in that period was about $1400 a year, so that radio was incredibly expensive.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:50:35 pm »
It's also interesting to study prices in different regions at different time periods. I'm currently reading a book on the San Francisco during the Gold Rush to get a better understanding of the reasons why my ancestor came here. Prices were incredibly inflated, with tent saloons renting for thousands of dollars per month, eggs costing a dollar each and so forth. We suspect that my ancestor was considering exporting goods from his father's iron foundry to San Francisco, where things like shovels and picks were selling for top dollar.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 06:55:38 pm »
When my mom was a girl her family moved to CA during the depression because the job market was supposedly better there and you got higher pay.  They them moved back 5 years later.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:06 am »
My mother in law says it was 5 cents to go to the movies. I actually have "Depression Glass" that was given out to entice people to go to the movies. My mother in laws mother would go to the movies and collect it. Everything runs in ratio I guess. I saved this other "Woolworth's" needle pakage because I really liked it, 79 needles for 10 cents today it must be $5.00.