Author Topic: Is this a wash stand?  (Read 3463 times)

AngelaH

• View Profile
Is this a wash stand?
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:32:04 am »
I got this piece 30 years ago in a junk store and paid 10$. It was covered in 3 layers of paint, which I stripped. The joints in the drawer and the feet definitely look handmade.

It seems the right size to be a washstand. Anyone guess at what kind of wood this is, and how old it might be?

The only thing I added were the wooden knobs, as it came with ugly brass ones someone had put on.

waywardangler

Re: Is this a wash stand?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:48:10 am »
Nice bargain for $10 and some elbow grease!  Looks like a commode (washstand) to me.  If there are screw holes on the back where a towel bar/frame was attached, that is what is missing.  Nice refinishing job too.

AngelaH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:59:31 am »
Wow, I just checked and there ARE screwholes in the back! Wish I could find a towel bar to add to it. Yours is gorgeous, and I see it had wooden drawer pulls too. Did those come with it? Makes me feel better about the ones I added.

I was living in a 3-room apt at that time and doing the refininishing job was very messy! :D

Thanks for the info and the compliment!

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:14:18 pm »
That photo of the commode is not mine...it was easier to pic one off the internet than go and take a pic of the one my wife has.  Hers is refinished golden oak and it did come with wood knobs and the towel bar.  It looked like it was painted white at one time but she bought it already refinished.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:51:41 pm »
Yepper!  Those are nice pieces!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:18:15 pm »
I wonder if a replacement towel bar could be made? Perhaps by tracing the arms of one similar to the one missing on yours?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:26:41 pm »
A nice little oak washstand !!

AngelaH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:59:33 pm »
Yes, I still love it after all these years, especially the handmade parts. It's a nice size and fits in perfectly with my antique dining room set!

@talesofthesevenseas - I could try begging my brother, who does some woodworking, to make the rack for me now that I know it originally had one. It might take some doing, since he sees no value in "old stuff" as he calls it. :D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:47:34 am »
I could try begging my brother, who does some woodworking, to make the rack for me now that I know it originally had one. It might take some doing, since he sees no value in "old stuff" as he calls it. :D

Angela, it is tricky to make a new “bow” from scratch with the 1st problem being to find “old” oak boards to make it out of. And it’s a hassel to try to stain newly sawed oak so that it matches the older original oak. 

Anyway, since I assume you are not in a big rush to “get er dun” …. what I suggest is that you start “checking out” all antique shops, used furniture stores, garage sales, local auctions, etc. ….. looking for an old, beat up, dilapidated, ….. cheapy …. old oak dresser with a mirror “bow” still on it ……. or just the mirror n’ bow by itself. (See picture below)

And if you find one then you can ask your brother to “re-size” it to fit your washstand. 

AngelaH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:37:16 am »
Cogar, I was kind of thinking that myself: Try to find an old beat piece that has an intact towel rack. Of course, the type of junk store where I purchased my stand are nearly a thing of the past now..

Oh well, it's been 30 years so I guess I'm not in a hurry! :)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 02:46:24 pm »
The grain looks like oak.  Nice item!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:15:53 am »
Angela, I seriously doubt that you will find an intact towel rack ..... or bow.

Look for a mirror bow ..... or rack.

Throw the mirror away ....... drill holes in the uprights and put a dowel rod in place and you will have a towel rack that looks original.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 02:36:26 pm »
Great advice...but don't throw the mirror away.  If it is that old...it can be hung without a frame like they used to do.  You can get etching cream and etch a really nice design all around the edge to fancy it up!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 07:26:40 pm »
Etching cream? Sounds interesting KC, do tell!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »
Projects! perhaps, KC?