Author Topic: Uh oh.  (Read 5871 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Uh oh.
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:41:06 pm »
I bought two 1890's-ish medicine bottles at the antique show last night. After researching this one, I found out the stuff inside is really nasty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_cyanide

It's boiling point is 79 degrees. It gets hotter than that in my house during the summer. The top is damaged badly like maybe it has boiled in the past and it burst.  Some of the liquid is dried around the top. :o
What should I do with it? I can't sell it because I can't ship it. Ideas? I won't throw it out. Be careful with antiques guys! If this bottle did not still have the labels, I would not know what the liquid was and it would have possibly burst out poison!

Wikipedia:
A hydrogen cyanide concentration of 300 mg/m3 in air will kill a human within about 10 minutes. It is estimated that hydrogen cyanide at a concentration of 3500 ppm (about 3200 mg/m3) will kill a human in about 1 minute. The toxicity is caused by the cyanide ion, which halts cellular respiration by inhibiting an enzyme in mitochondria called cytochrome c oxidase.

Hydrogen cyanide absorbed into a carrier for use as a pesticide (under IG Farben's brand name Cyclone B, or in German Zyklon B, with the B standing for Blausäure)[24] was employed by Nazi Germany in the mid-20th century in extermination camps. The same product is currently made in the Czech Republic under the trademark "Uragan D2." Hydrogen cyanide is also the agent used in gas chambers employed in judicial execution in some U.S. states, where it is produced during the execution by the action of sulfuric acid on an egg-sized mass of potassium cyanide.

Hydrogen cyanide is commonly listed amongst chemical warfare agents known as blood agents.[25] As a substance listed under Schedule 3 of the Chemical Weapons Convention as a potential weapon which has large-scale industrial uses, manufacturing plants in signatory countries which produce more than 30 tonnes per year must be declared to, and can be inspected by, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:49:26 pm by hosman321 »

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Uh oh.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 01:50:56 pm »
Hosman OMG  Please please be careful!!!!!! I know the Fire Chief in my town very well so I would probably contact him and ask what to do with it. Keep us posted !!!!!!!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 02:23:18 pm »
Yea...  I'd probably call poison control for this (or fire or your local non-emergency police dept #).  Unfortunately, they are probably going to take it from you but TBH, I wouldn't want that in my house.  In the meantime...  I'd place it outside.  There is a good chance it's no longer what it says it is but honestly, I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:24:23 pm »
It seems incomprehensible that someone has kept such a lethal chemical for so long. I think that the name would be a bit of a give away, and then to sell it to you?  (assuming the contents are original) Whatever, take care!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 03:01:08 pm »
Not sure but isn`t that the same stuff used in gas chambers in the past??  It may be illegal to even own it !!  Can`t imagine anyone selling something like that.  Did you ask about the contents when you bought it? Is it labeled ??

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 03:10:18 pm »
Yeah, they used it in gas chambers. I didn't ask about them when I bought them. The other one is full too.  The other one is labeled ammonium caust, which i dont think is bad. It may not be the original stuff. The only way to know is by some sort of test or by taking it somewhere. And I want my dang bottle back if they take it!  :P
It just makes me nervous that the top looks like it exploded. But I guess someone could have filled it with other stuff after that...

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 03:22:08 pm »
There's a test called the Prussian Blue Test but I don't understand any of it. I'll leave it to someone qualified.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:36:18 pm by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 03:29:03 pm »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 03:51:28 pm »
Seems it's all to do with  the concentration. This is probably a very dilute solution, hence its pharmaceutical use. But I still wouldn't trust it.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 04:08:33 pm »
This is HIGHLY TOXIC stuff in any concentration!  Put on some rubber or nitrile golves and a face mask and take it and put it in a sealed container such as an inert plastic bottle with a screw top lid and tape the lid shut with duct tape or electrical tape and then take it to your hazardous waste facility and dispose of it.  And then I would contact the dealer that sold it and tell them all about it and get your money back and maybe even report them for dealing in hazardous substances without a permit.  What kind of antique dealer would even think of selling something like this?  Just because it was OK 100 years ago does not mean it is OK today.  People drank radium infused water, drank soda with cocaine in it, and all kinds of other unproven elixirs of their day.  Today we have celebrities promoting junk like Activa but at least the modern day snake oil is safer...maybe.

OMG, hosman, be EXTRA careful with this or you will be lucky to be in the hospital.

Oh, I forgot but that herbal post link was quoting from 1902 so forget about it.  1902 was so yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:12:33 pm by waywardangler »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 04:45:15 pm »
Isn't it illegal to sell this stuff without disclosing the dangers or proper handling? I think you should be able to get a refund and ask the seller if they want it back or if they will reimburse you for the disposal expenses. Thank goodness it didn't leak in your car or something. I think I would keep this stuff outside in a safe place until you can get it disposed of.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 04:48:22 pm »
I think these folks can help you dispose of it properly.

http://www.cityoftacoma.org/Page.aspx?hid=1659

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 07:24:07 pm »
I think I would just turn it over to the police dept. and let them handle the seller. Dealing in those substances is not a good thing !! If not, he may continue selling stuff like that and someone that didn`t know better would wind up in the hospital or worse.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 07:34:31 pm »
Very good point. He could have a case of it in a basement someplace!  :o He/she probably has no idea what the stuff in the bottle they sold was capable of.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 07:50:04 pm »
Don`t know,, but I think anyone that can read would know what cyanide is. Some of those are more dangerous when exposed to simple elements such as water. They turn into a gas. Can`t remember which ones !!  Been too long since I was in school !! Kind of like mixing ammonia and household bleach,, each alone is ok but when they are mixed you get chlorine gas !!