Author Topic: Uh oh.  (Read 5872 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Uh oh.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 10:24:24 pm »
History of the pharmacy this bottle is from  - Boericke & Tafel (Mighty reputable)  Their products are still available today!!!!
http://julianwinston.com/archives/bt/bt_history.php

According to this the Madison location must have closed in 1915.

I would be leery of this....but believe it is a concentration even at this date.  BUT I WOULD BE CAUTIOUS.  My grandparents even had some in their cabinet when they passed away.  I know it was used for cholera and heart problems and from what I could find that is what B & T used it for as well.  It is still used in areas where cholera breaks out!

Boericke wasn't a nut...he was highly reputable!  

"William Boericke, MD  1849 - 1929
William Boericke was born on October 25, 1849 in Austria. He studied for one year at the Vienna Medical School and then immigrated to the Unites States where his family settled in Ohio. In 1870 he moved to San Francisco to take over the Boericke and Tafel pharmacy.
He graduated from the Philadelphia Medical College in 1876 and from Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia in 1880. Moving to San Francisco he practiced as a homeopath for over fifty years.
He was editor of the California Homoeopath and co-founder of the Pacific Homoeopathic Medical College and Hahnemann Hospital in 1881. This facility was eventually incorporated into the University of California, where Boericke became the first professor of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Therapeutics, a post he held for thirty years. He was also on the faculty of the Hahnemann Medical College in San Francisco.
In 1901 he authored Boericke's Materia Medica. His brother Oscar added a repertory to the book in 1906. This 'pocket manual' finds its way into almost every homeopath's library. It is a concise guide to hundreds of remedies, some of which appear nowhere else.
Many a homeopathic professional has depended on this work for daily practice. Along with Willis A. Dewey he wrote The Twelve Tissue Salts, published in 1888.
From 1880-1920 Dr. Boericke was the physician of choice in San Francisco. Consequently, his family belonged to the 'high society' there. In fact, patients came from all over the world to be treated by him homeopathically. He was a hard worker and his family was devoted to him.
On April 1, 1929 he died of a massive heart attack. A few months before, he had developed angina symptoms after racing his son down Tamalpais Avenue. For a man in his late 70s he was still physically active.
Two months after he died, his house burned down. All that was left was the stone fireplace and all of his homeopathic books."
http://www.wholehealthnow.com/books/pocket-manual-india.html

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:44:42 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 12:10:42 pm »
Nice , but toxic , find , hosman321 !

Cyanide , lime & zinc are very commonly used in gold refining/extraction (MacArthur-Forrest process) , along with all the other uses .

I've used cyanide in processing gold & 'black sand' that I've prospected myself .
It is very dangerous , but is very common with the mining industry , and with old-time jewlers who do a bit of gold refining/extraction .

I'd guess that your bottle contains a very low concentration of cyanide , which of course is a potent poison/toxin , but not really a WMD .
The fact that there has been leakage from the container (which may have crystalized around the cap) is a cautionary note , though .
Since you keep birdies & other pets (that are extra-sensitive to toxins), perhaps you will want to dispose of the bottle & contents like some have suggested .... if not , triple-seal the container & put it where no one can accidentally 'discover' it & wait till you get the gold-prospecting bug .

I had a friend who'd purchased a 'lot' at an auction & discovered a small vial full of clear-ish liquid with a small chunk of mat'l within in it ... his curiousity got the best of him & he emptied the vial onto a dinner plate , in the kitchen .
He could see that something was happening , so he went & got water to again submerge the 'chunk' of unknown mat'l .... it wound up being sodium (& it exploded/reacted upon contact with the water) , which inspired his wife to point some very colorful language in his direction .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 02:41:02 pm »
Sodium what ???  Sodium cyanide ??  Sodium bicarbonate ?? Table salt sodium??  I am curious !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 04:22:37 pm »
Sodium what ???  Sodium cyanide ??  Sodium bicarbonate ?? Table salt sodium??  I am curious !!

Hi Mart,

Just sodium. I recall our chemistry master taking us out into the freezing cold to demonstrate what happens when you drop it into water.... quite impressive, but didn't do anything for my grades  :(

I'm sure there'll be a few examples on youtube.

Here's one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bAhCHedVB4

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 03:11:52 am »
Metallic sodium and potassium are both extremely reactive if they come in contact with water.

Ya might say they will make water burn.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 03:43:50 am »
I know it sounds crazy, but I'm not willing to throw the whole bottle away. I just don't think it's totally necessary. I know the bottle is only worth about $10 but it's still important to me.

Fancy, since you seem to have some experience with it, do I really need to worry about dying or injury just by opening the bottle? Can I open it, pour it into a glass mason jar and then take it to hazardous waste? Of course I would do it outside and wouldn't expose it to water. I would wear a mask, goggles, bandana and long gloves. Obviously people 120 years ago had to open the bottle to use this stuff. I dont think they all died. I think it really might be the real stuff because it has crystallized around the top. I don't think I could ever find the seller. There were literally hundreds of tables at the antique show and everything was cash with no receipts. It wasn't like at a store. What an idiot for selling something so terrible! I research every little item I buy, a seller at a big event should have the common sense to do a 1 minute search online.   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 05:55:28 am »
Do you remember the booth number where you bought it ??  If the spaces were rented, whoever organized the show should have a record of the names of the sellers.  If you have a doctor or pharmacist that you could call, they could probably tell you if that would be ok .  At least they have the background in chemistry to know what is safe to do as well as tell you how to dispose of it.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 03:04:08 pm »
Hosman321 , it's probably not legal for me (an engineer , not a chemist) to advise about disposal of the contents of your bottle , except to take the contents to a haz-mat recycle/disposal facility .... or an alternative would be to first contact a haz-mat facility to check on the current methodology/protocol for disposal of the suspect liquid .

Being a cantankerous sort though , I'll issue the following comments &/or facts for your consideration :

Generally speaking , hydrocyanatic acid , when used in pharma products , is of a total concentration of around 2% to 4% .... slightly higher concentrations of around 6% have been known to be found in 'antique' solutions .

The 'powdered' substance around the stopper may contain higher concentrations , and can be rather dangerous in airbourne situations , or by simply touching/disturbing (with no barrior ; gloves,etc.) the powder .

Since it's really an unknown factor (what your item actually contains) it does not make much sense to assume that anybody knows what you've got there , let alone advise on what to do with it .

Speaking of assumptions , I'm guessing that you want to 'save' the labels on your item .... what follows is NOT advice , however ....
I might do something (with protective gear) where I could submerge the stopper in distilled water (including the residue 'area') and gently remove the stopper , with the intent of further diluting the concentration within the bottle .... then I might do as you've suggested , transferring the diluted solution to another glass container to be taken to a haz-mat facility .
A full & proper wash-down of the container & stopper , gloves & anything that may have come into contact with the liquid within your container  following its' transfer would be in order too .

Again , please consider any words about handling this issue on a DIY basis as simply musings , nothing more !

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:16:44 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 03:14:59 pm »
If you want to save the label,, get a plastic freezer bag and put the bottle inside with a stout rubber band around the neck of the bottle to keep water from taking the label off or smearing it.