Author Topic: Marbles,,marbles,,marbles !!  (Read 2839 times)

mart

• View Profile
Marbles,,marbles,,marbles !!
« on: February 13, 2011, 02:16:39 pm »
Where are you Oldcanalantiques?? My daughter gave these to me and I haven`t a clue what they are besides marbles. I do know the clay ones but there are some here that I do not know and haven`t seen before. Some are, for lack of a better term, frosted but have something in the center. Some look like cat eyes but have bubbles and a swirl  And that blue looks like maybe pottery, its not glazed and shiny and looks paint spattered. The two black ones also look like paint has been spattered over them but they are glazed. The large one I have seen before but forget what its called !!   A few I think are modern are clear but reflective.   Help anyone !!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:23:12 pm by mart »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Marbles,,marbles,,marbles !!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:40:43 pm »
For some reason the pics are not downloading,, will try later.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:09:59 pm by mart »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 08:18:35 pm »
Ok,, this is strange,, I resized and tried again and the first ones downloaded  as well.
One more pic,,

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:42:31 am »
Mart way cool I know zip about marbles but I really like the ones that have a frosted look !!!!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:46:56 am »
Even as old as I am, we didn`t have the clay ones.  We had aggies and cat eyes and steel ball bearings to use but thats it !! Now almost every type has a name as well as different colors and I know none of them. I tried looking them up but there are so many variations that you have to know what they are to even do that.  Need someone smarter than me to tell me which are collectable and which are not. Some of these are odd to say the least .

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:21:10 am »
Well, don`t guess the oldcanalantiques is coming back any time soon.  He must be making some great finds !!  Can anyone recommend a good book on marbles? Would like to get these listed and out of my way. I am even making a board to show them better !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:08:55 pm »
There are quite a few good books out there and Block is a good author.

As for an online site with good pics to compare to for the older marbles...
http://www.landofmarbles.com/vintage-handmade-marbles.html

I can remember as a young child we would put plain marbles in the oven and heat them up, then plunge them into ice water and "crackle" them.  This was a big craze in the 60's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 03:00:22 pm »
Guess we all did that with ,marbles and there are a few of these that look like that, but some are odd !!  I have been to that site and found a few but if you don`t know the color combinations and patterns, it doesn`t help much. A few are fairly easy to identify but there are so many different ones that I could use a bit of assistance.  I mean an explaination of the patterns and color combinations as well as makers.  I don`t even know what to call them to look them up !!  I will check out that author though !!  Thanks !!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:02:20 pm by mart »