Author Topic: Mystery Item - Please help identify!  (Read 1971 times)

aparker

• View Profile
Mystery Item - Please help identify!
« on: February 14, 2011, 04:46:22 pm »
I have an item that appears to be an urn.  I'm not 100% sure though so I thought I would ask around to see if anyone might know anything about this piece.  I think the designed on it look Egyptian.  There is an inscription on the neck which appears to have been added to personalize the piece and there is a touchmark on the bottom.  Any info would help - such as what it is, material it is made of (it's really heavy so maybe some type of iron), age, origin, etc.  Thanks so much!

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Mystery Item - Please help identify!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:05:15 pm »
Aparker found this one the price is high but it is celadon jade. It does not explain the use but I think yours is also Chinese or Asian. Maybe someone else will have more info.  http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7768403  good luck :D

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:13:46 pm »
That one on liveauctioneers sold for $950.  I am registered so if someone needs a price from liveauctioneers just let me know (with the auction item link of course).

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:17:49 pm »
Cool thanks Wayward!!!!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:30:37 am »
It is often difficult to date metals, for obvious reasons, but what is the stand made from? If it's wood, then that might give a few clues, especially if you provided a few more close ups of it, and someone like Wayward might be able to shed some light on possible age?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 05:33:28 am »
It looks like its not very well cast. Many irregularities in the piece. Bottom almost looks like slag which is also very heavy.

aparker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:12:24 am »
Thanks everyone for all the responses so far!  The stand is made of wood - again, I'm not sure what type...it is very lightweight.  Maybe bamboo?  I'll have to take more pictures and post.  Thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 04:43:13 pm »
Interesting piece you have there. The stand is made in traditional Asian style.  However, the carvings on the vase/urn aren't.

First glance it looks like a soapstone....but the last pic does bear a green hue.  However, there are green soapstones!@  This is one of those an hands on might need to be attended to!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!