Author Topic: Deep Seated Question About the Past...  (Read 3947 times)

AntiqueDoc

• View Profile
Deep Seated Question About the Past...
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:43:28 am »
Truly would appreciate any direction as to manuafacturer, year, value or whatever this chair is. Thanks in advance.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Deep Seated Question About the Past...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:38:38 pm »
I'm just learning when it comes to furniture so I don't have much to offer other than WOW! That is an absolutely fabulous chair! Is this a piece passed down through your family?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 01:56:53 pm »
I am thinking it is Swiss or German.  Those carved flowers on the top look like edelweiss.  The figure in the center looks like a hunter holding up a pheasant or other game bird. I am leaning more toward German origin.  Very nice elaborate chair!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 02:23:27 pm »
I was thinking German as well. Could we get a close-up of that panel??

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:31:26 pm »
I looked thru a book on American chairs thru 1890 and saw nothing similar.  Obviously this book is not all inclusive and your chair could be post 1890.

When you look closely at the turned legs, do they look exact or almost exact? or are there small differences in diameters, spacing between the turns or other small irregularities.  Probably something you wouldn't notice until you actually looked for it.  If you have a caliper you can measure too...  

Also - as T stated... any history you know may help.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 03:51:10 pm »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 03:57:00 pm by wendy177 »

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:12:22 pm »
 style is black forest   , so agree Swiss in origin, date late 19thC early 20thC
(although the  black forest is in Germany, & the name would suggest they came from this region, these pieces were swiss & never carved in Germany)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 08:22:43 pm »
Just out of curiosity  how tall is your chair? Only ask because the two examples Wendy gave are 30 in. and 37 in. tall. Thats about the size for a childs chair and both of those were musical chairs. Is yours as small as those ?? It appears taller in the pic.  Is it also a musical chair ?? You didn`t give any details !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »
Yes, inquiring minds want to know the dimensions.

Looks like it is from the German or Swiss regions!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

AntiqueDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »
Thanks to all for comments and info. Was away and recently just got back.

I was thinking German as well. Could we get a closeup of that panel??

Just out of curiosity how tall is your chair? Only ask because the two examples Wendy gave are 30 in. and 37 in. tall. That's about the size for a child's chair and both of those were musical chairs. Is yours as small as those ?? It appears taller in the pic. Is it also a musical chair ?? You didn`t give any details !!

1)       From the seat to the top is 20”

2)       From the floor to the seat top is 16”

3)       The total overall height of the chair is 34 ¾”

Unfortunately no family history about the seat. Really unique and beautiful. Trying to establish value for future reference.

Thanks again in advance for suggestions, recommendations and anything relevent to aid in the knowledge of the chairs vintage.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:23:10 pm by AntiqueDoc »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 02:18:24 pm »
This one looks very close to your design   http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8193559

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:41:19 pm »
Since the last chair that Wendy found was given a $200. to $400. estimate and the others were $1200. And $1400. and the finish on yours is better than the lower priced chair, I would say a value would be Around $750. or a bit more. You didn`t say if it was a musical chair or not so I am assuming that the music box doesn`t work,, or it doesn`t have one !! I think it would be under the seat. Or if it ever had one and was removed you should be able to see where it was attached.

AntiqueDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 10:43:12 am »
Once again, thank you for the leads.

Thought I'd post some more pictures for evaluation of evidence of music chair. Seems to be untampered, however I really have no idea if it once was a music chair and changed over the years.

Thanks in advance for opinions.  This has been an interesting investigation.   ;D