Author Topic: Real or Fake? Barrington General Eisenhower Mug  (Read 9650 times)

chris81106

• View Profile
Real or Fake? Barrington General Eisenhower Mug
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »
Hello!

I have purchase a Barrington General Eisenhower Mug's because. I have done some research. From what I can find out about these mugs. They are from the 50's and there where only 2,000 made. (apparently)  Also the company that made them is out of business and was called Barrington.

I can't find an information on the company it self. I can't verify if really only 2,000 where made or if there where ever any reproductions. I have also tracked how much they sell for. I don't have a subscription to worth point but from what I have seen they sell from 50 to 200 US dollars each and that does not matter if it has a number on the bottom or not. I have seen both of them sell high and low with or without a number.

Here are a few photos of the ones that I am looking at:

This is a photo of one without a number - I have seen these before and if you look at the top you will see three dots/dashes I also see them without the three dots. Most the time with the three dots.

Here is another one with a number on it. These too I have seen a lot of too but never with three mark like the one above. Also I have seen some with numbers but not always saying "of witch this one is".

Then here are a few photos of the mug itself. You can also see many of these mugs on google images.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

bob535

• View Profile
Re: Real or Fake? Barrington General Eisenhower Mug
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:31:43 am »
One of these sold on ebay for $192.50. with 36 bids. Judging by the number of bids I would say it was was quite a few people wanted it. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:34 am »
Barrington is also the town name I believe.  Researching the town might give you history of the pottery.

chris81106

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:32:05 am »
Yes, I was in that bidding war for the3 one that went for 192 dollars - but there was a lot of shill bidding ( that of course ebay will do nothing about) so I stopped bidding.

I have also emailed a few pottery locations in Barrington too. I have got one response that says it is not a Toby and that they could not help past that point. 

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:12 am »
0**n and n**m appear to be shill bidders on another Eisenhower mug too.

chris81106

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:47:24 am »
Yeah, they show up on this one too. I have been telling eBay forever about them, but they never stop them. Why should they I guess - it is just making them more money. All we can do is wait until the last second to bid on items so that they cant shill us too much I guess.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=180629864639

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:23:52 pm »
Wow - I have never heard of this.  Irritating for sure and takes advantage of those who place max bid amounts.

The creativity of some people amazes me.  If only they would use their powers for good..... 
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:37:10 pm »
I'd never heard of shill bidding until now, although I suspected something like that went on, and that's one of the reasons why I never place my max bid until the last minute .. also why I started that thread on to snipe or not to snipe.
I've just read up on shill bidding and note that the dummy bidder withdraws their last bid .. I think if that happened to me, the bid reverting to my final bid, then I would be very suspicious, and certainly not pay up without investigating it.

Re the mug, they're right in saying it's not a Toby jug, as they have the full body represented, this one would be called a character jug ... I think

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:41:40 pm »
I, as a seller, would like to block bidders with "0" feedback but I have not found a way to do that. I can block specific bidders if I know their ID and I can block negative feedback bidders. If someone knows how to block specific feedback numbers in a bidder ID, I would like to know. The "0" feedback bidders are usually up to no good and may never pay. I realize they have to start somewhere but I wish it was somewhere else.

As for shill bidding, never bid more than you are willing to pay for an item, either when sniping or putting in an early max bid.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »
Hi,

Wayward got me thinking and I could have sworn that you could block bidders with a zero feedback. I checked on ebay and found the following (you probably have this too). From the first section it seems to suggest that you can do just that, however, when I followed the instructions given in the second section the option just is not there???

What are buyer requirements?

You can block buyers from bidding on or purchasing your items by specifying buyer requirements. You can block buyers who:
Don't have a PayPal account
Have unpaid items recorded on their account
Have a primary delivery address in countries you don’t post to
Have breached eBay policies
Have a Feedback score lower than the number you specify
Are currently winning or have bought 1-100 of your items in the last 10 days (you can specify the number)
You can also block buyers based on their user ID by creating a blocked list.

Think carefully before blocking buyers. While selecting buyer requirements may reduce your exposure to buyers who could make transactions difficult, it will also reduce the number of potential buyers you'll have for your items.

Specifying buyer requirements for all listings

To select buyer requirements for all your listings:
Go to My eBay
Click the Account tab, and then click Site preferences on the left
In the Selling preferences section, scroll to Buyer requirements, and click Show
Click Edit
On the Buyer requirements page, select your requirements
Click Submit to save your requirements

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:56 pm »
Exactly, mario. I have done all that and someone with "0" feedback cannot be blocked from bidding unless it is buried even deeper in ebay but I can't find it.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 05:23:52 pm »
When I did ebay years back i used to use turbo lister, and i never seen this option. I have recently started ebaying again, and I just list things individually through the site, and i get this option.

I don't know if that's any help to you, but thought i would throw it out there just in case.  ;D

chris81106

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 02:12:17 pm »
All of this information is great - especially the blocking of bidders. Thanks everyone, but I am still looking for information on these character mugs. I have emailed many people and I also found another Barrington item here

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140490156694

My Wife says I have to sell one of these mugs so I have to find out if one or both are real. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 12:27:13 am »
I guess I am a little confused Chris81106....on this site http://www.vialin.com/forum/real-or-fake-barrington-general-eisenhower-mug-vt19318.php you state that you are looking to buy these on February 11, 2011...and on here you are looking to sell the same.....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 01:38:48 am »
Maybe Chris possibly bought them early Feb and is now wanting to sell them on?