Author Topic: Can anyone help me with info on this Antique porcelain tea set  (Read 4251 times)

Pringleplace

• View Profile
Can anyone help me with info on this Antique porcelain tea set
« on: February 22, 2011, 02:47:57 am »
A friend of mine has this set that his parents bought in the early 20th Century. It is Alka Bavaria and the pattern is called Rosemarie.

The pic is a sample of the cup only,

He has the teapot, sugar bowl, milk jug and six cups and saucers - all in perfect condition, not one crack nick or blemish of any sort.

My questions are: What is the value of such a Tea set?
I cannot find this particular pattern anywhere on the net, similar ones but not this exact one - so I am wondering if it is very rare?
Is the gold in this actually real gold? I see that some of the other gold pieces in similar designs are 20 ct gold.
Lastly, is there a market for this set?

I am new in this antique field, have learnt a lot already in one week! But I do need help!!

Thanks

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
Re: Can anyone help me with info on this Antique porcelain tea set
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:34:28 am »
The good news is it has a value, the bad its not high.
This is really a cabinet piece as if used the gold gilding would soon wear. It does contain gold but not of great value.
Against it the pattern is very plain, the shape is common, the maker is not really collectable,
for it is is complete & perfect
UK auction £20 - £40
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:36:38 am by gingertomantiques »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:56:26 pm »
Referring to our dear friend, Chris, and his site......Porcelain Marks and More

http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/bavaria/kronach_1/00.php

Please post a picture of the makers mark!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Pringleplace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:40:09 am »

I have identified the mark already and know from which era it comes, I just want to know if anyone has info on the value of the whole tea set!

Would it be better to sell cups and saucers together separatley and then sell tea pot and sugar bowl etc separately or as a whole set?

Thanks for all your help!!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:57:17 am »
Most value would be in the complete set.  It would be much less if the set was broken up.

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 04:36:20 pm »
Disagree,
constantly breaking up these sets , selling as trios, there are tea pot collectors & always someone who will pay a premium for a replacement piece

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:59:06 pm »
Perhaps in GB but I have not found that here !! Here if a set is split it is difficult to find someone that wants cups with nothing to go with them !!  Could just be my geographic area though !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:47:38 am »
I'm in agreement with Mart on this one. Over here it is common to break sets up into trios, but that wouldn't be possible in this case, no side plates. Also people will buy trios for a number of reasons .... and again I don't think they would necessarily apply in this case. If you tried to break it up and sell it separately there will need to be several buyers out there all looking for replacement bits.
Also, sets may be frequently broken up because one or two pieces may be cracked or chipped, and selling them separately hopefully makes up for those.

Pringleplace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 02:53:30 am »
Thanks for all your feedback and interesting debates!  When you say over here where are you? I am in South Africa with what I think is a very small and select market for antiques.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 03:06:39 am »
Hi,

I'm from the UK, and so, I believe, is Gingertom, and in the main I do tend to agree with him, but not on this occasion. As you're in SA then I think that it would make even more sense to keep the set intact. You are just not going to get the market (IMO) if you break it up. I do hate to say it, and I can only talk about here in the UK, but tea sets just are not as popular as they once were, but nice ones, in perfect condition, can still sell. A different country, a different market ... That much I have learned over the years, and most especially since joining this forum.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:19:47 am by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:20:04 am »
I am in the US in Texas so there are completely different markets in our geographic areas. We can only speak about what we are familiar with. GB and your country may have collectors that are interested in the odd pieces of china.  Here, if a set is split up, unless its a rare pattern or maker, people just aren`t interested.

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:27:57 am »
I agree with mart on this in the US market.  Different geographical areas will always have different markets. What works in the UK may not work the same in the US or in SA.

Pringleplace

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:27:19 am »
Thanks!!! I will put it on Auction next week and let you know what happens! I quite fancy the set myself - I think it is lovely! I just have no place for stuff in my house with my fiancee who collects guitars and we have one room of our house full of them and all the sound paraphanalia!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:45 pm »
Good luck with your auction and please do let us know the results !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 01:26:39 pm »
By far the best option, IMO, so good luck! At least afterwards you should have a better idea of its market value ;)