Author Topic: Old rocker/ recliner chair  (Read 8955 times)

Rgreen687

• View Profile
Old rocker/ recliner chair
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:22:29 am »
I have an Old chair I know little about I think its made by lakesside company not sure. I saw one that was simmilar but in  little better condition I think it was made in late 1800's early 1900's. in good condition worth $300 looking to see if someone may have any more info.

waywardangler

Re: Old rocker/ recliner chair
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:25:26 am »
Tales, Oceans, and sapphire...look at this!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:08:04 am »
It is Rocker HEAVEN around here!!!  LOL... Rgreen check out the other rockers in the Projects forum  ;D

Have you ever seen underneath the headrest?  It looks as if it was made to be upholstered but I'm not sure.  I am wondering if it was carved under there and maybe (?) pieces are missing?  The sides seem out of proportion with the top (height wise) but that could be how it's supposed to be... Does it feel square under there?  Can you feel any carved details?
What do you think the wood is? Oak?
Love the footrest...  Does the knob on the side release it somehow?
Are the springs underneath original or have they been replaced (Pics of the underneath would help). 

Definitely a platform rocker (duh) but I'm not sure if it could be classified as an "Eastlake" rocker.  It lacks the intricate country and geometrical carvings which IMO define his style. The straight carvings down the sides are typical.  Mine (and I believe the others) are much smaller carvings however allowing space for 5 lines - I'm seeing 3 here.  Also, whenever I see a harp in the design, I think of a Duncan Phyfe influence but that's not really helpful as far as dating.  His design is still incorporated today...

The shape of the various pieces are similar to Eastlake however. Your arms attach at the sides vrs flush - another difference...

Are you keeping or selling? 
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:16 am »
You think they might want one like that too ??? Price is about right  I think. I would say early 1900`s. I had a similar one in mission style, also in oak when I had my shop.  Yours looks a bit more lady-like than it did .

Rgreen687

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:38:53 am »
thanks Ill have to do some more reserch now and check it out ill let you guys know what I find out

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:45:03 am »
I think $300 is rather high TBH...In the past month, in diff geographical locations, Tales, Sapphire and I have bought one.  I paid $50 at auction tho it had some easily fixable condition issues.  Tales paid $70 for good condition, and Sapph got the best deal at $40.  I continue to see them in my area trying to sell around $175-$200 and they don't seem to sell.  One guy is trying to give his away at $35 (no upholstery) and it's been listed for weeks...  I'd buy but it would cost too much to pick up with ferry rides and by the time you add foam + upholstry, you've lost $$.

Caveat is those were Eastlake so if we can find out more about yours it maybe different...

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:52:19 am »
Rgreen, this is probably what you have already found. I'll check around to see if I can find more........

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Antiques-682/2008/11/Platform-Rocker-Recliner.htm

sapphire

• View Profile

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:57:50 am »
And another, but no info whatsoever.  Seems the $300 + is a common asking price so far.......but that's only the asking, what has been realized in $$ could be another matter.

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/atq/2218263688.html

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 11:02:59 am »
One attributed to Hartley (mention of the company in the first link), much more elaborate in decoration and MUCH higher asking price.......

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/vintage-antique-db-hartley-victorian-recliner-chair-circa-1885

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:06:47 am »
No picture (ad from 2010) but asking price was $250.  The info contained in the ad is much more interesting. Have you gone over the underside well, looking for any maker's marks.........as Tales can tell you, the rocker mechanism can be a great source for a patent date which aids dating the piece.

http://www.fleasyads.com/viewitem.php?sid=0&item=150529329708

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 11:15:35 am »
I think BF Huntley would be another name to keep an eye open for, as well as DB Hartley.......those seem to be the two names that pop up in relation to both the style and era of these chairs.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 11:16:09 am »
BTW.......LOVE your chair.   ;)

Rgreen687

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 11:51:32 am »
here are the pics of the bottom that I could find when I get sometime ill exam a little closer to look for patten number or marks

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 12:23:43 pm »
Looks like you have the same type of spring mechanism as Oceans and Sapphire. Look on the springs and see if there is a patent number or date. That is how I was able to date my rocker.
Antiqueaholic in recovery