Author Topic: German Mark  (Read 2978 times)

Betty Ann

• View Profile
German Mark
« on: May 24, 2004, 01:52:04 pm »
I have been trying to find out all that I can about a German Mark that is shaped like a "Donut".  The words Made in Germany are within and around the donut.  Can anyone provide me with information?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
German Mark
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 04:17:43 pm »
;) Hold tight betty ann, kerrybee will be along shortly, she love's these pottery question's.

Guest_Betty Ann

German Mark
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 04:26:51 pm »
Thanks D & B I'll be waiting to hear!

kerrybee

• View Profile
German Mark
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 08:25:21 pm »
Betty & Dewain:  you give me too much credit.  :P  I have a not so secret any more resource:  http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.firmitas.de

Christopher - Simon Marshall is an internationally recognized expert on German marks, and he is gracious about answering e-mail questions.  He can help you with pics if you have trouble posting.  

Honestly, he is a web researchers hidden treasure.  (now that he is building his own web site, not so hidden !!)

Yes, I have seen that mark, but honestly can't identify positively - I think more than one company used it.  Chris, can you help?     :(

Thanks, KB

Betty Ann

• View Profile
German Mark
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 07:31:11 am »
Hello...Yes...Chris Marshall and I have just crossed paths yesterday!  His sight is wonderfull.  I checked his sight before I posted this.

I have asked someone who I believe to be a reputable dealer in German porcelains and he advised me that he believes this mark was used by Germany on pieces that were not coming to the United States.

I see this mark quite often on pieces that I believe to be dated before 1940.

Can anyone add anything to this?

Chris_Marshall

German Mark
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 07:31:46 am »
Hi all,

Betty Ann, does the mark have only the writing as such or is there a seperator included ? For example "Made in *Germany*" or "Made in Germany *o*" ? Kerrybee is right, that type of mark was used by a few companies, but all had their specific version ...

Guest_Betty Ann

German Mark
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 07:45:08 am »
Morning Chris....
I just pulled 1 of the pieces and I guess I have more than one donut mark!

This one is from a "Chocolate Cup".  It has the "donut in red with GERMANY "o"" inside of the outer circle of the donut and the number 40 in the inner circle or "hole" of the donut.  

Chris_Marshall

German Mark
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 07:51:54 am »
Hi Betty Ann,

Yep, thought so. I'll scratch together a few 'donut' marks and post them ... will take some time though, as I have to search for them on my harddisk :-(

Guest_Betty Ann

German Mark
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 07:56:47 am »
MANY THANKS Chris......I am so glad you found our site.  I hope someday we are able to return the favor and help you with something.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Valerie