Author Topic: ANybody know what this is ?? It looks like a time machine!!  (Read 3052 times)

jabiloxi

• View Profile
ANybody know what this is ?? It looks like a time machine!!
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:06:03 am »
Hey,

I recently got this at an estate sale and seriously do not know what this is though it looks amazing.

I have attached a pic and I cant find anything like it online.  Please let me know what this is and if possible how much this may be worth?

Thanks again,

Joe

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: ANybody know what this is ?? It looks like a time machine!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:32:18 am »
From what I can see,from one face,that is a barometer ... and ...  can you provide close-ups of all its faces. and other angles? If there's a maker's name on the face then that will also help

Looks interesting!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:41:54 am by mariok54 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:43:35 am »
Got me interested too! 

I'm curious to know what the purpose is of that 'gap' at the top, between the main body and the cap/ring. I wonder if the compartment at the very bottom might be a holder for oil and a wick should be at the top  ???  Then again, if one of those faces is a thermometer there goes that theory :P

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:53:28 am »
The flux compacitor (what makes time travel possible) goes in the open space. hahaha I'm teasing.

I have no idea what it is, but I like it!!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:54:53 am »
The face on the left appears to be a clock, the one on the right is a barometer like everyone said, the one we can't see is a ? I would guess a thermometer or hydrometer . I would find it strange to also house an oil lamp but this is already strange so who knows? I think it is a weather station. A name on one of the faces would help in pinning down a maker and time period.

Could be a tide and time nautical instrument also.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:31:35 am by waywardangler »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:06:38 am »
A mini DeLorean fits in the bottom slot!  LOL  I love the comment about the flux capacitor.

Looks like a "weather station" to me as well.  Most likely one sold so that people can find a gift for the man who is hard to buy for!

Seriously, can you list any "written" information on the piece and a pic of the 3rd face.  In addition, a close-up of the bottom area as well.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:54:54 am »
Does it contain dilithium crystals? Could be a transporter.  ;) "Beam me up Jabiloxi!"
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jabiloxi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:26:53 pm »
There's 3 faces on it: a clock, a barometer, and a thermometer. The top has a compass. There is no name, serial number, or anything about who made it on the outside of it or inside. There is a little sticker on the bottom that says "made in China". Its about 9" tall, weighs about 5lbs, with no identifying marks on it.

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:24:51 am »
I wish you would have mentioned the "Made in China" sticker in your intial post.  :-X

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 09:40:44 am »
I wish you would have mentioned the "Made in China" sticker in your intial post.  :-X

Not so much a 'Time Machine'  as a Black Hole!  ;)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 10:07:47 am »
The made in china sticker changes a few things.  I haven't mentioned this b/c I really don't have many details but, this decor was/is popular here in the NW.  My Dad bought a few items like this for his friend over several Christmases.  They live in a house near the beach.  This was in the late 80's/90's and TBH, I never paid much attention to the detail but it could easily fit in that time frame IMO.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:57:34 pm »
Agree with Oceans and a previous post I made....gift ware!  However, I would put closer to the early/mid 90's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!