Author Topic: Should I sell this on ?  (Read 5844 times)

OLDZ06

• View Profile
Should I sell this on ?
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:09:06 pm »
Ebay ????  This old yelloware/spongeware lamb mold is really rare, I mean I have never seen one like it and it is large. I have never been able to find out an exact value on this one. I have been thinking about selling it and just do not where the best place would be. Any suggestions ?

bob535

• View Profile
Re: Should I sell this on ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:26:00 pm »
I wonder what it is supposed to be a mold of...a boot, a whale?

The only thing I can find on ORLICE is it is a river, and that there were some Orlice shoes (modern) sold on ebay. And google images shows Orlice as a bird used in a lot of coat of arms.

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:02:06 pm »
It came from an auction that had lots of items from germany and france. I posted it here a while back i think to find out more info and dont think no one came up with anything concrete. Now Im thinking about selling it and a few other pieces of pottery. Just dont know the best place to sell this. Maybe some new members will chime in.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 07:26:22 pm »
Your mold might have been made in the Czech republic. An area on the Orlice river had a pottery that probably used that name. Didn`t find much more than that. I think Kovels online has an appraisal service but probably have to be a paying member.

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »
Maybe I have the only like it left in the world ;D     Need a antique road show online,lol.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 11:25:58 pm »
Here's the topic thread from earlier on this mold:
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=6300

I guess you could just put it out there for with an appropriate starting bid and let the collectors set the value on Ebay, if there is no other to compare too. You don't want to keep it?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 05:22:36 am »
I don`t know Tales I think I would get an evaluation before trying ebay. But thats just me !!  I don`t sell anything without first knowing its approx value.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:53:51 am »
I looked around and couldn't find much either. I do know (you probably do too) that these are very collectible and used around Easter. They make some VERY cute cakes but that's a topic for another forum - LOL.  I saw briefly on the other thread that someone posted a value of $333-ish and I could see a collector paying this.  That is an uneducated guess however...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:33:13 am »
What makes me think it might be worth more then the ones simular that we have found is that it has the spongware design added. Spongware was really a hot seller a while back when things were a little better ( economy wise) Thats the stumpper for me. It is a hard piece to display and it just sits on a storage shelf so if I could find the right info to advertise it correctly I would sell. Also I have never seen another piece of pottery with the Orlice stamp. I have few pieces of pottery that I will probably never know exactly what value,when,and where they were made. I do want to say thanks to everyone here for trying though.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:44:15 am »
I am kind of with mart but rather than knowing its' value, I like to know who made it and when before selling. As to eBay, if you have no monetary attachment to this mold, I would just set an opening bid level and let it ride. You have the prospect of being very pleasantly surprised or hugely disappointed or dismayed that no one bid. Any auction venue is a snapshot in time of what bidders will pay or even if they will bid. I do not know the spongware market at the present time but if it has cooled off, you may want to hold on to your lamb mold for awhile. If it gets knocked off a shelf and breaks, you may have wished you took the chance to sell it. If there are no other pottery pieces with the ORLICE mark, pottery collectors may not pay a premium for it (too rare for demand). If this is a rare spongeware lamb mold and everyone has a solid yellow or other color, this color may bring a premium.  You could always set a reserve at a level you are comfortable with and if it does not reach the reserve, at least you did not 'give it away'.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 10:20:14 am »
If you want to sell it on, then maybe get it appraised? I've been looking at a couple of sites over here that will appraise your items for as little as c. $20 for three items. I imagine there'll be similar services in the States.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:38:39 am »
Sometimes I think not knowing the value, can make ebay exciting. That is one of the reasons I got into ebay years ago. What got me hooked, was I put up a pair of salt and pepper shakers for .99, I didn't even know if anyone would even buy them for that price, and in the end they brought in 75 dollars, I was shocked to watch the bids keep going up. That was so much fun.

But I can't say that I do that anymore. ALthough it was fun, my fear of people not looking at my auctions, made me want to get an aprox value, on everything just in case.   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 12:51:19 pm »
NICE MOLD. It's yellowware!!!!!! Looks like a lamb...which is very popular from the older molds that have been sold.

We had some of these many years ago on this site!  I would research before I would sell!

Here is one like yours now that I looked it up after posting the above...
http://www.instappraisal.com/content/yelloware-pottery-lamb-mold

Yellowware
http://www.suite101.com/content/yellowware-a28698
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:55:25 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 12:56:41 pm »
KC, I have a feeling that it's the same one... from an earlier search for info ...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 01:04:26 pm »
It is the same one !! I saw it too !!