Author Topic: Oil Portrait of Ludwig Uhland (1787-1862)  (Read 6006 times)

lupose

• View Profile
Oil Portrait of Ludwig Uhland (1787-1862)
« on: February 27, 2011, 04:48:55 pm »
I've recently inherited an oil painting with a newspaper clipping on the back, identifying the portrait as Ludwig Uhland. He was a German philosopher and apparently quite influential in his time and deemed "the conscience of Germany". I have my doubts whether it is Uhland however, since the man (or boy) in the portrait appears quite youthful, although there is a slight resemblance. I cant make out the signature, but there is one on the bottom right, no visible date. If it is indeed a young Ludwig Uhland, it would be quite old...

The painting is on wood panel and has a plaster frame, which is damaged. The frame looks to be maybe 30s era, but could be original, not certain. Please respond for photos or more info! I'm curious whether this is a case of mistaken identity or the real deal!

Thanks,
Alex

mart

• View Profile
Re: Oil Portrait of Ludwig Uhland (1787-1862)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:16:21 pm »
Wood panels were used on many earlier paintings. Can you post a pic here ?? And a closeup of signature.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:05:23 pm »
Agree with mart, please post a picture.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum , lupose !

I'm in with the others here who posted about wanting to take a gander @ your item .

If you do decide to post images on this one , could you please include one of the back of the 'board' you've mentioned ?

Sometimes these types of paintings can be a puzzler (which many here enjoy) , but with all the skilled & helpful folks here it sure helps to be on-board here (IMO) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:40:08 am »
Thanks Fancypants,, I forgot the back !!!

lupose

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »
Here are some photos of the piece!

I had a second look at the "signature" and decided it was just some detail in the shadow I mistook as a signature at first glance. I included it nonetheless, since it showed the condition of the painting's surface. The back is included as well and I can post close ups of the newspaper article if needed. If you know German, the article could be useful, hehe.

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:25:02 pm »
Very nice painting. I think those red marks could be a signature but are muddied by layers of old finish and dirt. Have you looked at those with a loupe in good light?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 09:00:06 pm »
Red marks could have been a signature!!  If its not flaking there try taking a Q-tip and some warm water with a drop of dish soap and just lightly clean that area. Not much water, the Q-tip should be barely damp.  The red color could have been used for signing since they wouldn`t want the same colors as in the painting.  And it would have to stand out on the picture !!  Since signatures are rather unique to the artist, he may have signed many if not most of his works with the same color. Artists are funny like that !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:00:15 am »
I think that Johann Ludwig Uhland and Ludwig Uhland are one and the same. There is a portrait of him also as a young man here:

http://www.lindahines.net/blog/?cat=70

although where she obtained the image from it doesn't say. But quite a few similarities to yours.

But when you go to Wiki the first painting shows him with his parting on the other side ???.

Hard to tell, but the painting looks to be pretty old, although it seems to have been taken out from the frame at some point.

Nice painting ... do you know anything of its provenance prior to you inheriting it? It may be worth getting it valued at some point and provenance will always help.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 02:07:08 am »
Maybe...

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:49 am »
Well done, wayward ....... ;D

There's me not being able to be bothered to play with the pictures, and voila!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:27:22 am »

I would be tempted to contact the University at Tubingen, where they still seem to have an Institute named after him. If anyone should be able to verify the likeness, I imagine they would. They may even be able to tell you a bit about the artist. Also, as there seems to be so few images for him out there, they may even be in the market for an original painting of him  ;D

http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/uni/qvr/e-30/m30-01

lupose

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 05:44:08 am »
Wow, thanks for the feedback guys! I'm so thrilled with the responses! Very helpful indeed. Great idea contacting the university! My dad speaks German so that's certainly a possibility. The image you found is very helpful Mario54, thank you!

I'm going to be speaking with my great aunt soon, so she might know a bit more about the painting's origins.

Really think that's a signature eh? I was a little discouraged, because the same colour is used for some detail on the chair in the opposite corner...

Do you think using the castle in the background to determine a location would be useful? I though it looked a bit like Godesburg on the Rhine river. Although I do know Uhland has poems about castles, so the background may just be a homage and not a real location...

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 06:04:46 am »
I don't think you'll have to rely on your father's German, if you e-mail them with your questions and attach the photos, I'm pretty sure you'll get a response.

Good luck!

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 08:54:09 am »
The young man has a cane in his left hand with the hat. I think you should be able to date this portrait to when canes were fashionable. There was a time when every gentleman had a cane because it was the fashion of the era.

http://www.walkingstickworld.com/history.htm
"The 19th century was the hey-day of the walking stick both here and in Europe," says Nelson.
Victorian walking sticks were a part of the "correct" attire of the elegantly dressed gentleman, who would change a cane as often as they changed their clothes.  These walking sticks typically had simple gold or silver mushroom handles and were rather mundane in appearance.

Large Mushroom Shaped Ivory Handle with Mother-of-Pearl Six Pointed Star of David on Top 2"H x 1-3/4" at its Widest, Malacca Shaft with Ivory Eyelets and Wrist Cord and 7/8" Horn Ferrule, Ca. 1870, 36"L.

This may be someone else going by the style of cane and dates when Ludwig lived.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:57:38 am by waywardangler »