Author Topic: Fishing flies and Lures  (Read 4316 times)

bob535

• View Profile
Fishing flies and Lures
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:40:19 pm »
I have an old tackle box full of lures, and flies. I don't think they are all very old (but pretty sure they are all over 10 years old), but some of them I think might be valuable. I took some pictures of the ones I think might be something.

First the tackle box:

Flies:

Lures:

waywardangler

Re: Fishing flies and Lures
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:51:28 pm »
Hi bob, I have collected lures since 1977 but have not really kept up with the collecting of plastic lures. Some are valuable such as Bagley's in rare finishes, but most are just fishing lures. It looks like you have some whitish crud starting on some of your lures so it is hard to tell what finish they are. The best of the lot is the Bug-n-Bass which looks like it is missing the fly. I can't tell what color it is because of the pic quality and white stuff.  You can use a hair dryer to 'melt' the white crud so the lure comes back to its' original color.  The small beetles with hair legs are also collectible and go from $5-10 each depending on condition.  The lures you have pictured look to be from 1970 to recent. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:00:12 pm »
Your collection brings back some wonderful memories. My grandfather was an avid fisherman and tied his own flies. I remember him tying them by the light of a small desk lamp in their little cabin on the Metolius River in Camp Sherman Oregon.  :) He caught my grandmother once, he was casting and hooked her through the ear lobe!! Another time he was casting and caught one of the little bats that would come down to the river in the evening. The next thing he knew his fishing line was flying off into the air!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:17:01 pm »
Thanks wayward!! I had no idea what that guy was called. He is light blue and white. A lot of the lures do have that white stuff on them, thanks for the tip on how to remove it, i was trying to wipe it off with an old sock and it did no good.

Glad I could bring up good memories Tales  :) I love the story of the bat.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:06:44 pm »
I hooked a Holstein cow on a backcast fly fishing once or maybe the cow went after the fly because it was hungry.  I don't know how much it weighed because I did not reel it in, but it was BIG. It broke my tippet and escaped with the fly.  ;D

Here is color chart with your Bug-n-Bass on it...#3 Bluefish I think...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:15:40 pm by waywardangler »

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 07:28:09 pm »
HAHA catching a cow that's funny. I remember one time when I was younger I was younger i went fishing with my step father and a friend of his, and his friend thought he cast his line over a log, and he tried to jump his bait over the log, and the hook got stuck in the log, only it wasn't a log it was a baby (about 3 feet) alligator tail, and he was not happy. I had to hold its head down while he got his hook out of its tail. We didn't stay long after that because we heard a bigger alligator barking (Momma was probably mad)

Thanks for the chart, you are right it is #3. I just found one on ebay too, but there is a difference in the way the front hooks attach on mine and the one in the listing. The one in the listing seems to be attached like the one in the chart. Mine looks exactly like the one in the listing, the shape colors are identical.

Maybe made in different eras??

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUG-N-BASS-large-3-Bluefish-color-Vintage-Lure-/250772309929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6331c7a9

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »
The front hook on mine has the same kind of attachment as the back hook (a loop)

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:37:39 pm »
Hmmm Maybe I have a generic version of it. I just noticed a couple more difference in mine, and the ones in the chart and listing. The originals look as if the eyes were not painted on you would not know there were supposed to be eyes, if you took all the paint off mine you would see bulges where they eyes go. also the pectoral fins on mine is shaped slightly different. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:42:08 pm by bob535 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 07:47:38 pm »
I see a Jitterbug, one or maybe two Hula Popper`s, A Swim-N-Shad and a split tail Rapala in a package yet.  If nothing else they would sell well as just using lures.  Thing is on some lures, they have made similar, cheap lures you have to watch !!

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »
Thanks mart. You think they would? I think there might be 3-4 hula poppers  ;D I might have to list them on my next round of ebay.

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 08:51:02 pm »
Bob, there are no copies of the Bug-n-Bass. They were all made by the same company but there were different sizes, 2 I think. Differences in hook hangers could be diff. years.
Many copies of Hula Poppers and Jitterbugs were made as well as Rebels, Bagleys,etc. If they are from the original maker, they will be marked with the company name. If not, you have a copy. They would all need to be cleaned up before selling or the price will reflect the condition.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 08:59:50 pm »
Yeah they really need a cleaning. Let me get one more pic. close up of the eye on mine. I am not doubting you at all because I don't know much about lures except how to use them, and I am only a little good at that. haha I just want to see if you see what i see. Give me a couple minutes and i will get another pic close up of the eyes if you don't mind  ;D

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:28 pm »
Okay I cleaned it up a little bit too.  ;D I do not see bulging eyes on the ebay one, or the ones in the color chart.  However when i was trying to find another pic of a Bug-n-Bass with google images a few min ago a couple of them look like they might have bulging eyes, but could not really tell for sure....If they do i don't really know what that would mean  ;D

This is one that sold on ebay:

Here is a couple more pics of mine:

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:41:31 pm »
Not sure on the flat eye/bulging eye variation but this one I picked off the internet has bulging eyes.

waywardangler