Author Topic: AMAZING Antique Mirror / Any Ideas what this might be???  (Read 2900 times)

jabiloxi

• View Profile
AMAZING Antique Mirror / Any Ideas what this might be???
« on: March 06, 2011, 07:30:40 pm »
I just picked up this Antique Mirror at a yard sale I attended this weekend along with a dresser in another listing.  This mirror is beautiful and looks like it could be something pretty nice and old.  I was wondering if anyone here may have any ideas on the type of mirror this is, how old it is, and possible value?

Let me know, i am really curious to see what everyone here thinks...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:32:17 pm by jabiloxi »

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: AMAZING Antique Mirror / Any Ideas what this might be???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:01:06 pm »
I LOVE IT! Pictures of the back of it might help with dating. Hard to tell from the front. It's great!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:26:40 pm »
I just realized that the gold/paint on the front looks like it is an "antique finish" to make it look older than it really is. Is the mirror all wood or is it another material like resin/plastic etc.? It's still beautiful but age depends on the materials and construction.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »
Need to see the back,, Looks like it may have had another piece with it. The top trim is larger than the  bottom.. May have been a hall piece that had a shelf below the mirror. Then the wider trim would be consistant and would have balanced it out. Just looks a bit odd !! And I have never seen an antique finish like that on an older piece. Would be a more modern finish !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:54:28 pm »
Looks like it was meant to go above a fireplace mantle, that's the only thing I can think of. Even if it is recently made, it's not worthless. Looks like a good quality piece no matter what, and even if it's newer someone still might pay a couple hundred dollars to have it in their home.

jabiloxi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:01:03 pm »
Yeah, i think so too.  I am already contacting some designers nearby who might be interested or have some use for something like this.  I would LOVE to put this in an auction too, if i could figure out where to go in Northern california.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:51:15 am »
One sign of a quality mirror is whether it is bevelled or not and, although it's hard to say for certain, this doesn't look like it is. As with the others, a good look at the rear will tell an awful lot.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »
I like the looks of the mirror and it is one that is desirable in todays market.  Looks like a hall piece.

The look on the front is the "antique finish" as hosman stated previously....inste ad of a natural antiquing from age.  All aging looks "too consistent" and even from the pics posted - maybe closer inspection would prove otherwise.

I am also interested in the composition of the piece, whether it is one solid piece of mirror with the frame overlayed, the weight and dimensions of the piece (wondering if it has resin work as well as stated by  and most of all, a picture of the back.

Looks "new" to me.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jabiloxi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 02:02:04 pm »
Ok,

Here are some pics of the back of the mirror etc.   I believe the top is some kind of hardened foam.  I was able to slightly probe at the blemish on the top of the piece in the pic.  The front spiral seems to be a durable material such as wood but I am unsure.

Thanks for all your comments and help regarding this piece :)
Joe

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:15:12 pm »
Sure looks more like a fiberboard backing and a plaster or resin topcoat!  Do believe this item is less than 20 years old.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:18:50 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 01:39:10 am »
I must be tired, it took me ages to decide what I was looking at ... but agree with KC

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 05:59:58 am »
Also agree with KC !!