Author Topic: Chest: New, Old, American or something else....  (Read 5272 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Chest: New, Old, American or something else....
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:33:03 pm »
This chest puzzles me. We use it to store DVD's. Everytime I dust I see something that makes me think it's old. By the time I finish, I think it's new.  Hubby got it in trade from a guy who sells old and new Persian rugs and furniture so where it came from is a mystery.  He's had it since 2000-ish...  I'll let the pics speak for themselves but I will say, when I empty out the DVD's, there is a ridge for an internal shelf and I think the shelf is stuck to the bottom at the moment

Here it is in general - I'll also post detail pics...

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Chest: New, Old, American or something else....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:36:25 pm »
Some pics of the inside

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:36:53 pm »
Hardware....

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:38:25 pm by Oceans64 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:47:48 pm »
Nails...  

This is what "gets" me.  The ones in the top look old (square).  The filler is rubbing away so I can see them.  The ones on the inside ridge appear to be new... Make me think repro but why go to the bother of covering them? Unless some were covered and others left exposed...

There also is some shrinkage along the top...  or poor workmanship... or made to look that way...

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:04 pm »
Last 2 pics of detail work...

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:02:05 pm »
How old do you want it to be? I think it is well made but newer. None of the dovetails look like they are hand cut. They look like they were router cut with a template. Nice inlays. Someone put some time into this chest. JMO.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 12:39:19 am »
Hmmm, is there a sticker on the bottom that says "Made in China". Just checking because some have been leaving that important piece out until last.  ::)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:41:46 am »
It's definitely beautiful! I agree with wayward, the dovetails are very uniform in size. It was probably made recently, made to look older. The area around the square nails does look to have some genuine age. Wonder if it's something from the 50's or 60's? ??? I love the design, still really cool nonetheless.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:36:15 am »
Hmmm, is there a sticker on the bottom that says "Made in China". Just checking because some have been leaving that important piece out until last.  ::)

I think that Wayward might be baiting some Ocean fish!  ;D

It is a well made piece, Oceans, and very pretty. What is the inlay?

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 01:38:11 am »
Good one, mario!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 08:23:12 am »
How old do you want it to be?

About 235 years would be nice...  When I get the bottom out I am hoping to find a tin type of George Washington resting his foot on it while signing the Declaration of Independence  ;D

LOL - No made in China sticker. No marks at all with exception of a few pencil lines if memory serves.  I haven't a clue as to the inlay.  Definitely wood but just don't know.  It's the nails that confused me a bit but maybe they are made to be lower profile since they are on the top.  Less to cover.

Chinese makes sense given it's origin and the popularity of Asian item in this area.

It is a neat chest. Regardless of age, by the time we are finished with it, it will be well on it's way to being an antique...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 05:53:55 pm »
Nail guns for making furniture use a nail with a squarish head. They were not intended to be seen and usually were set and covered by the manufacturer. Didn`t know this till I saw my brother using them on a side table he was making.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 04:44:26 am »
Brad nailers, ..... not nail guns. 

An electric stapler-brad nailer like the one pictured below is a "must have" for any home craftsman or remodeler.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 09:51:05 am »
Brad nailers, ..... not nail guns. 

An electric stapler-brad nailer like the one pictured below is a "must have" for any home craftsman or remodeler

Correction noted !! Didn`t split hairs with that statement. Figured the ladies would know what I was talking about.