Author Topic: Bamboo Fishing Rod???  (Read 4779 times)

bob535

• View Profile
Bamboo Fishing Rod???
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:38:28 am »
I have this fishing rod that I think may be bamboo, but I am not 100% sure if it is. There are no manufacturer names on it that I can see. I am just wondering if there is an easy way to tell if it is bamboo. I can post pics in a little while if it is needed, but what I would really like to know is there something I can look at or some other way to identify the material.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Bamboo Fishing Rod???
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:58:57 am »
I think Wayward is the tackle expert on here, but he will probably want a pic or two .. apologies to all others who know about rods.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:56:42 pm »
Well I have found out that what I have is not bamboo rod. It is just a normal 80's era fishing rod  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:20:40 pm »
We grew up with bamboo fishing rods!  Wish I still had them!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:54:58 pm »
A bamboo rod is usually 6-sided but can be 4 or 5. Some glass or metal rods have been 'grained' to appear to be bamboo. They also have metal ferrules (the parts that are used to join the sections together).  A pic would help next time.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 07:52:10 pm »
Yeah I'm sorry about that. I thought I might catch some heat about not posting any pics,  ;D

But just to be fair, because I know the enjoyment of seeing what people are talking about I have added some pics here.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 07:56:17 pm »
The ferrules are metal, i meant to get a picture of that too but i guess i took the pics too fast...lol

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:11:13 am »
Looks like a lower end fiberglass rod spinning rod, Bob. I cannot tell from the pics who the manufacturer is.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:54:32 pm »
Oops....we were the cheap neighbors on the block and our werent as fancy!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »
Is that, by any chance, a fly rod ???

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24:43 pm »
The grip and guides indicate it is a spinning rod.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 06:57:12 am »
The guides looked a little large to me for a spinning rod.  I had a fly rod years ago made similarly . The grip looks a little bit like it did !! Wouldn`t mind having another like it !!  Just wondered !!!

waywardangler

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 08:30:06 am »
Guides on spinning rods are large, especially the guide closest to the handle. That one can be very large. That guide has to gather the line coming off the spinning reel spool and somewhat uncurl it to go through the other guides which reduce in size towards the tip top. Fly rods have a stripper guide and then a number of snake guides which are totally different. If you had both rods next to each other the differences would be immediately apparent.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 09:22:32 am »
Coulds just be the pic size !!  My Berkley cherrywood that I use most of the time does not have the large guides. In fact, the first guide is 19 1/2 inches from the reel face.   It is about 20 years old and I love it,, handles great, right spring at the tip !!  We have two of them left that have the pistol grip.   We do have a few custom rods that have them though !! The fly rod I had wasn`t really that much different in construction from a spin rod !! More length and flex but very similar in other respects. It was just a cheapie rod !!  Think I bought it at the old Gibsons Dept Store here !!

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 10:14:33 am »
It is a spinning rod, it did have a D.A.M Quick 330 reel on it.