Author Topic: Ebay is at it again !! Adding your shipping charges into final value fee !!  (Read 2776 times)

mart

• View Profile
Has everyone read the latest ebay seller update ?? Hope Wayward reads this.  Is this even legal ??  Can they charge on what you pay the USPS ??  Isn`t that paying twice ??

waywardangler

eBay can do whatever they want to because they are the 800 pound gorilla.  Sad to say but what else is there? No traffic on other sites.

I am actually not opposed to this.  If you offer "Free Shipping", final value fees already come out of the total. Sellers that list an item at $.01 with $49.95 shipping just got caught. Ebay is trying to promote their store sellers because they are reducing the final value fees if you have a $15.95/mo store.  PayPal has been taking their cut off the total for quite awhile (I think).

Whaddayagonnado?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:38:05 pm by waywardangler »

mart

• View Profile
I am aware of the problem with some sellers but this is really not helping the small, honest, sellers !!
I just didn`t think that they could profit from the federal govt. Just like the stores here that sell stamps can not charge extra for them !!

waywardangler

Just like the stores here that sell stamps can not charge extra for them !!
When I worked at the Post Office, I would get this query all the time. Any store selling stamps can charge whatever they want UNLESS they are a licensed USPS branch, station, affiliate, or official USPS mailing center. A convenience/gas store can take a 44c stamp and charge 45c or 50c or whatever their customers will put up with. There is no law against that.

I agree on ebay not helping the small, honest sellers but they either do not care or are making tons of money from BIG sellers. There must be a mass exodus from big sellers to get ebay to do anything. Small sellers leaving do not hurt their bottom line. I would love to go somewhere else but there is no traffic comparable anywhere else right now. The other sites are fixed prices or social network sites.

CaryW

• View Profile
I think this is to combat the sellers who are making all their profit from the shipping costs and ebay is getting none of the cut. I wonder if a shipping calculator could prevent this although I guess they could always just make the handling charges ridiculously high. I understand what ebay is doing and I don't really see a way of doing this in a better way. Although I guess they could wave the shipping fees if you have a certain star rating or positive feedback.
What's the best shipping service for shipping antiques I sell and buy online?

waywardangler

The sellers charging stupid shipping fees will leave or reform but either way, eBay will be getting more money. They are trying to get sellers to open stores because the fees were decreased for those. They had a promotion awhile ago. It was tempting but I do not list enough to jump to a store. There are some advantages though and I am still thinking about it.

hunter

• View Profile
I know this is an ebay discussion but I've unloaded stuff on craigslist for free. Just a thought. You can sell on craigs if done correctly.

waywardangler

Craigslist is a totally different selling venue than eBay.