Author Topic: Japan Plate  (Read 2405 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Japan Plate
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:53:50 am »
I was going to ask a few questions about an old plate I found at the Goodwill today. But I thought, "let me go to eBay really quick and see if I can find something similar." I typed in "antique Japan plate" and the first plate that came up was the one I have. I thought that was pretty funny, of all the plates out there. Is there a way to date plates like this? I'm guessing it's between 60 and 100 years old.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Antique-19th-Blue-and-White-plates-Japan-/270717790122?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item3f0809a7aa

Ok, very deceiving. Many different manufacturers and slightly different patterns.
http://www.robbinsnest.com/blue-willow.html

And the story.
http://www.robbinsnest.com/dinnerware-tableware/adderleys/

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Japan Plate
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:01:43 am »
Mine.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:05:50 am »
Your Blue Willow plate looks like it was made around 1930 or so !!  Around 1950 instead of just Japan on the back it would have the "Made In" added. It is still popular here in my area. It is transferware and was an inexpensive "everyday" type glassware. My mother used it as did my grandmother. There are slight variations in the patterns depending on who made it. The pattern tells a story but I forget what it was !!  Now plates can range in price from $5. to around $30. depending on age and mark. Its easily found here in the south !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:18:37 am »
Thank you for your help! I'm glad that it's about 70-80 years old, I'll keep it until it's an antique. The story about the design is in the last link I posted. :)
I knew it wasn't worth more than a few dollars, especially with that big chip. It's probably not even worth the $2-something I paid but it's valuable to me.;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 06:50:42 am »
Actually I still like it !!  They had the same thing in a red color that is a little harder to find and a bit more expensive !! Flea markets here have it on occassion as well as Goodwill stores !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:38:28 am »
Blue Willow is a very popular pattern and has been for years. I never knew the story behind the scene though, that is really cool!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 12:29:26 pm »
Still a very popular pattern and will most likely remain so.  Nice plate.  Betting closer to 50/60 years.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »
It's a classic love story, and some of the variations show the Father on one side of the river, the lovers on the other (or crossing in a boat even), and their spirits in the form of the love birds hovering above... I love a tearjerker with  a happy ending.  :)

Pringleplace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 07:27:28 am »
Interesting - I love reading all the posts!! Especially as I am now learning about vintage pottery!!