Author Topic: A New One On Me  (Read 7373 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
A New One On Me
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:51:52 pm »
In the course of my genealogical research on my ancestor who was killed on the Jenny Lind, I found a reference to "Death on the River" by Bob Young. It turns out this was an article in a western theme magazine. The Jenny Lind was one of several ships detailed in the story. I found a copy available on Ebay, but at that point, I was not sure if this was a book, a magazine or what. So I contacted the seller and he told me that he was unable to provide the date of the magazine or the name of it because of scammers.

Huh?!! Since when can you not provide basic information about an item you hope to sell? I'm totally mystified about this one, and I told him exactly that, but said that I would take his word for it. I asked if he could at least tell me if the magazine was pre-1940, since it really would only be of interest from a collectable standpoint, and is not likely to have any genealogical info that I haven't already uncovered.

He's not asking much for it, $24 on Buy-it-Now, but it's more a matter of principle. I don't like not knowing what I'm buying and it sends up all kinds of red flags for me. Here is the message I got from him:

There are four pictures as indicated on my written index.
Thanks for asking. This is a featured story in an old and complete original western magazine. Because of skammers on ebay we do not give our date and name of publication. We were skammed recently.
On all our listings sold on EBay, my wife and I index the item with all names, sites and pictures - highlight same, print it out - enclose it in plastic with binder - then package it in our waterproff mailer and furnish to purchaser at no extra charge for their personal library.

Please be so kind as to consider the feedback we have received from over 4309 customers - 300 of them repeat purchasers.
Thanks,

What do all of you think about this one? I can afford to throw away $24 on a chance, but it just seems very odd.
-Claire
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: A New One On Me
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »
Are you thinking this is a photocopy or a reprint? I'm sure you've seen this: http://www.genealogyimagesofhistory.com/images/alinda.JPG

It kinda looks old....

That said, I would be a little miffed.  In turn, I would point him to YOUR stats, what you normally buy (this fitting the bill), how long you've been on eBay etc...  For the life of me I can't figure out how you could "scam" him by requesting basic info.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:44:19 pm »
It is a wee bit strange and I don't understand how a scammer could use that information...
But I guess stranger things have happened on the internet. I'd say go for it, it may really be worth it in the end!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:57:18 pm »
No, No, No !!  I think he is scamming you !!  If he does not give the date, then you cannot leave neg feedback when it turns out to be a copy. Because he didn`t say what the date was !!  I have seen this done on other older publications. I wouldn`t buy it as original !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:02:32 pm »
That genealogy images of history site IS his Web site. I'll see what he says about if it is pre-1940. For $24 it isn't a big investment, but like I said, I really would be a whole lot more comfortable knowing exactly what I was buying. Pretty weird. I'll let you guys know how he replies.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:19:00 pm »
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/genealogyimages/items/DEATH_ON_THE_RIVER___SIDEWHEELER_INDEX___Genealogy

"Because Old Western History and Memorabilia was printed before computer indexing, I index every item I sell.
This complete index will be bound and included in this offering at no additional cost. Humbly, I am trying to keep our history alive."

"I don't give out name of publication or date because I have caught competitors copying my index and work and trying to sell it as theirs. I hope you understand."

"My wife kids me that after I find a piece I like, buy it, read it, research it, take a picture, scan it, write the blurb, pay the entry fee and commission, that I end up making about 50 cents an hour. "

Is he saying that in addition to the publication he is selling, he is also including his own index of names (genealogy), pictures and events???

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:21:25 pm »
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/genealogyimages/items/DEATH_ON_THE_RIVER___SIDEWHEELER_INDEX___Genealogy

"My wife kids me that after I find a piece I like, buy it, read it, research it, take a picture, scan it, write the blurb, pay the entry fee and commission, that I end up making about 50 cents an hour. "

So you are buying a scanned copy?
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:35:11 pm »
It sounds to me like he may be scanning the items he finds, indexes them and submits them 'somewhere'......then forwards all that info, along with the article itself...........possibly ???

Really difficult to actually tell......if he would only word it properly, like 'You will receive the actual article along with.....blah, blah, blah"

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 11:11:23 pm »
Yeah this whole "index" thing is weird. Why on earth would anyone want a whole index of everything this guy has sold? There is nowhere on the listing which says you will get the original item, nor does it say you will get a scan or a CD. I also can't tell if the era he refers to is the era in the article, or the age of the actual item. I hadn't heard back from him yet, but I sent another message asking exactly what it is that would be sent and if it was the original item, a scan or a CD. I looked through his feedback and he's got 100% positive. I would think if he was misrepresenting scans as originals that someone would have complained.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:52:42 am »
I got this answer, but no answer about the date, so I sent back another message asking if it was pre-1940. That ought to be general enough not to threaten this precious index, LOL!

Here's the reply:

We do deal in scans or copies. This is an original document as published.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 11:56:59 am »
That right there saves you if you need to get your money back. He is saying that most of the time he sells scans but not this time.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 01:52:16 pm »
Just got this email from him, but there was no response about if it was pre-1940 so I sent yet another message saying I would only be interested in purchasing the item if it was pre-1940. 

notice i made a serious error. WE DO NOT DEAL IN SCAN OR COPIES.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »
His play of words drives me crazy. But the worst that could happen is that you buy a repro and get your money back. If he does have good feedback then he probably isnt sending out a bunch of scans to people.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 02:28:46 pm »
That guy is nuts !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 02:40:08 pm »
I'm wondering if he is buying these items, indexing, scanning etc so that eventually he can sell access to his database to a company like Ancestry.  Otherwise why bother indexing. Just buy and sell...   No biggy but that's probably why he's so protective of his indexes.