Author Topic: Curious about items in this ad.......  (Read 4065 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Curious about items in this ad.......
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »
This ad was posted on our local Kijiji site.  They say these were found in the walls of their 1700's house. Some I recognize (obviously), other items I'm totally clueless about.

Just wondering what your estimates of age are for the treasures they found (and help identifying the obscure ones)

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-art-collectibles-Antique-Items-W0QQAdIdZ268249947

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Curious about items in this ad.......
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:37:35 pm »
Wow, all that stuff is awesome. I wonder how much they want. The silverware and glasses do appear to be from the late 1700's-early 1800's. I have no idea about the rest. Wish I had a house with cool stuff like that in the walls...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:07:19 am »
What fun! The doll looks like composition, mid to early 20th century. I'm guessing the pipe may be the oldest of the group? Other things from the late 1800's-ish?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 01:17:59 am »
I'm thinking that while they know they really found some 'treasures' that maybe they are not sure just how much they're really worth.......hence the request for an offer?

The pipe really struck a cord, as I unearthed one similar in the early to mid 60's after excavation was done to uncover and fill in the septic tank in our backyard.   I had taken it to school for 'show and tell' and on the way home a boy from a few doors away asked if he could borrow it to show some friends........that was the last I saw of it.  I remember it as having a bowl carved into a face with some other decoration surrounding it, but can't recall (or at that age wouldn't even know) if it was clay, bone or wood.

Is the long, forked item with the 'shell' on the end a hair or hat pin?

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:41:00 am »
Is that brush in the foreground for hats? for brushing brims and the inside?
Looks like the remnants of a lead figure, which looks to be late 18th early 19th c.

If I found a hoard such as this, which probably doesn't have a great deal of value, would be to set them it a frame (except for the doll! Too big) label it to provide provenance, and keep it, or then sell on.

We found a lot of old clay pipes when we first moved into this house, Mostly they dated back to early - mid 18th c and all broken, they were pretty much cheaply made to be 'disposable', but even though they were so cheaply made they were often decorated with mice, dogs and so on. There was one particularly nice one, just the bowl,no monetary value at all, it was bleached white and I wanted to take a pic of it against a particularly nice stepping stone in a flower bed in the garden. Set it up, batteries were flat, went to put in new batteries, came back ...  Yes, you guessed it, my wife was weeding and walking on the stepping stones ... ;D  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:26:27 am by mariok54 »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 02:23:08 am »
That hunting knife looks kinda vintage to me,

I was once told that clay pipes were given to the guests at hotels, etc. for "a smoke" and were then thrown away. Thus, one can find them when digging n' scratching around old way stations and hotel sites.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 02:17:39 pm »
If it were reasonable I would buy it just to get a look at that knife !!

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 06:25:01 pm »
Most of the items in the first pic look 1920s-30s to me. That hunting knife could be good if the blade is not too pitted and if the name is a quality maker like "Marbles" or "Case". I do not think the lead soldier is "late 18th or early 19th century". I would think this soldier is WWI at the earliest which would be early 20th century. JMO.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:16:46 am »
I do not think the lead soldier is "late 18th or early 19th century". I would think this soldier is WWI at the earliest which would be early 20th century. JMO.

Apologies ... I was getting my centuries confused!   ::) ::) ::) 

I meant late 1800s early 1900s. I felt that it was prior to WW1 because that doesn't seem to be a uniform, and he doesn't seem to be wearing a helmet. But we are in the same time frame, and not centuries apart!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:53:06 am »
I've bid on a few of those old clay pipes on Ebay, never won any.  Most that looked like that were advertised as being excavated from Revolutionary War campsites, locations of old hotels, taverns etc.  Some were the churchwarden types with stems a foot and a half long originally.  The taverns kept them on hand and "rented" them out for the evening, then broke an inch or inch and a half from the stem for sanitary reasons, then rented them out again the next night.  For that reason, most of the excavated ones have very short stems.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 11:20:12 am »
This is one the hens dug up the other day ... and one my wife didn't convert to dust before I could take a pic    ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:11:08 am »
"May Breath" lozenges purifying deodorant for the mouth/stomach was produced in the late 1920's and early 1930's!  In excellent shape worth $5 - $8.

Would be curious about the composition of the 2 tined fork....believe it was for escargot.  They were made of celluloid or bone!

I would bet the glasses are from the very late 1800's to early very early 1900's.  Same for the toy and door knob.  I would like a better pic of the item to the left of the door knob!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:23:03 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 09:33:24 am »
KC said
Would be curious about the composition of the 2 tined fork....believe it was for escargot.  They were made of celluloid or bone!
That makes sense, KC, because there is a snail shell (real or not?) adornment at the end of the handle. I thought someone just glued a snail shell on a fork but if this is an escargot fork, it was there for a purpose. Nice info KC!