Author Topic: Silver Cup  (Read 1321 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
Silver Cup
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »
I bought my first piece of silverplate (?) at a small auction 2 weeks ago.  It was totally black but I cleaned it up and it shines beautifully now (photo doesn't do it justice).  Thnk I know why people don't buy silver anymore-too hard to keep the tarnish from coming back.  But I have a couple of questions:
1.  What is this piece used for?  It is about 2 inches across and 2 inches high.  Friends think it is a sugar bowl, but my research shows sugar bowls have handles.  Any ideas on what this is?
2.  What does the "125" stamp mean?
3.  Any ideas on how old it is.
Thanks for any help.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Silver Cup
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 12:58:42 am »
Seems to be too small for a sugar bowl, and too large for an egg cup .. so it could have been a 'salt'?

I imagine the 150 will be the pattern number

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:39:16 am »
The Wm A Rogers name is quite common in silver mostly because so many companies used his name.  The most recognizable being Oneida from 1929-1978. There is a brief detailing here for the history: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_Wm_A_Rogers_who_was_associated_with_Oneida  I haven't run across "Canada" but after googling, I see some pieces are marked with Canada.  Makes me suspect that it was issued under Oneida since they have a Canadian operation. 

You could start with replacements.com. I may be able to search a little later today.

The 150 would be the "pattern number". This is probably not the right name but think of it as that  ;D It identifies the the pattern and sometimes you can guesstimate a date by this number.

I am wondering if this little guy had a lid at one time...  I'm with Mario. If it's not a salt, it would make a nice one.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:44:06 am »
This is probably a waste bowl for a tea set!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!