Author Topic: Modern looking ceramic owl what era? Eames?  (Read 3970 times)

agreeneyes

Modern looking ceramic owl what era? Eames?
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:01:39 am »
This is unusual, there isn't any makers mark, but it appears to be older it's 6 inches tall.  There is crazing in the glaze, does anyone have any idea what era this could have been possibly made? and is there any value in it ?  Also in my research I see the term Eames era, just what exactly does that refer to and how do you determine you might possibly have an item from the Eames era.  Does this fall into that category, thank you

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Modern looking ceramic owl what era? Eames?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:30:25 am »
This forum is turning into a real Hoot!  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry ...  ;)

Afraid the only Eames I know of is Charles, used to be big in furniture, but was never to my taste.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:33:33 pm »
That term is used very loosely to mean "mid century modern" !! It just means to me almost anything produced during that time !!

LOL  Mario !!!

khunn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:43:02 pm »
very cool owl there. unless it is marked or signed it will be very hard to attribute a date or value. with all the owl stuff your going through I would start with all the signed ,numbered, or marked ones first.

khunn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:03:40 pm »
Also, the UK appears to have a greater affinity for owl related items. If you opened up your shipping options to them on Ebay, it would probably generate alot more interest.( I have had some moderate success in the past ^with Owl glass,crystal, paperweights and the UK buyers. )

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:28:43 am »
Khunn is right, there does still seem to be a fascination for owls over here, inasmuch as there are a number of collectors, but beware that unless it is a pricey piece, then the cost of postage from the States to the UK would put most people off. The sort of owls that you still see fetching good money tend to be solid silver cruets, pin cushions, interesting and good quality bits of treen.
If I were to buy anything bigger from the States, it would need to be very collectable... but that is just me an I'm glad to say that I don't represent the whole of the Nation  ;D

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 03:50:27 am »
I'm with mario, shipping is a deal killer sometimes, even within a nation.

agreeneyes

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:41:50 am »
Thank you for your information and time.  As I'm not an expert this is why I come to this wonderful site, you've helped me a lot in the past but all of these owl items are new to me.  If the  glaze shows crazing does that normally indicate age?  and yes you're correct they're using the term Eames for mid century modern, because the pieces I see aren't marked.  I have this beautiful blue glass owl that is either a candle holder or incense burner.  There isn't any name I can find on it maybe it did have a lable at one time but nothing stamped in the glass itself.  I've found several exactly like mine and they're being referred to as being made by Viking Glass which is also new to me. Rest assured I won't inudate you with owl items I was just curious how people are referring to something being made in the Eames era and you've taken the time to answer my questions.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 07:19:26 am »
The Viking Glass company was originally New Martinsville Glass Manufacturing company in West Virginia started in 1901. The organization was given  a change of face in 1944 when it was bought out and renamed Viking Glass Company to set forth a new and better post-depressionary mood. I personally do not place a company name with a piece of glass that is unmarked unless I can find the piece in old company files,photos & literature. This can take several hours, days , weeks , months and  so on to identify a single piece. Ebay is a good place to start a search if many are referring to a piece like yours as Viking that is a great place to start your search with Viking Company literature. but many people  place the  wrong  glass companies to a piece. Many great books are the best source of company records & photos of pieces from these companies such as Colored glassware of the depression era by Hazel Marie Weatherman. That's why photos are so important on this site many here have extensive libraries of books to search company photos & records.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:29:49 am »
I have found that if selling on ebay,, letting the buyer determine age and maker, and just list what you actually know about a piece will save time and headache should the piece not be correct. And that is right,, do not depend on ebay for information,, its often wrong !! Letting the buyer make the call often gets you more money !!

Thor

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 02:40:56 pm »
I don't think this owl is Viking glass as they usually did "clear" transparent colors not solid/opaque.  )That being said, I'm sure someone will point out the white and light blue they made.)  I just have never seen the style and type of glass in a Viking piece.  I have a book on the Viking glass pieces made until 1970 and this particular piece does not show up in it.

Good luck with finding more out.

arsinaloftheapocalypse

• View Profile
    • TranceDoll Apparel
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:14:37 pm »
I definitely don't know much, but I may have some ideas to offer :)
The crazing doesn't always necessarily mean age. It can be due to exposure to the elements...too dry, too wet, extreme temperature changes...I've seen some fairly new pieces of my own begin to deteriorate in this manner in a matter of months as they were in a metal storage area. The glaze just couldn't handle the extreme heat and cold changes.

But what I find unique about this piece is the eyes. In western culture, owls are generally a symbol of knowledge because of their wide and sharp eyes. This one has very narrow angular slits.

In many eastern and native american cultures the owl was significant to much darker forces. Often appearing in myths and legends as a death bringer or sometimes even embodied demonic presence.
With those thin angry looking almost judgmental eyes, the dark colors and the lack of features that draw you to the horn like protrusions of the head, I'd look into pieces from eastern cultures.

As well, I recognize the painting style, but for the life of me can not make a connection in my head to what it was called. Finding that out, as well, may help to date this little critter :)

Hope some of that helps, and good luck!
Yep, another shameless self promotion:
TranceDoll Apparel, death shrouds for the living.

http://Http://www.TranceDollApparel.etsy.com

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 09:18:31 pm »
Great info/opinion arsinal!  :)