Author Topic: Please help ID these paintings and/or prints  (Read 2183 times)

dolphin717

• View Profile
Please help ID these paintings and/or prints
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:15:20 am »
The are antique paintings and one print that came from NY and the NYC area...they came from family and I'm pretty sure they date back at least to the 1930s...Thanks, WC   I have several more pics...I guess I need to do a couple more posts..Thanks

dolphin717

• View Profile
Please help.....
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:19:08 am »
Here are more pics...is there a way to put all of these on one post...Thanks, WC

dolphin717

• View Profile
Again...please help ID...3rd of 3...
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:23:11 am »
This is the 3rd post of 3 with pics...please help ID...Thanks, WC

waywardangler

Re: Please help ID these paintings and/or prints
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:27:00 am »
Dolphin, I have put all your paintings in the one topic but posts have a total image size limit so my best advice would be to "Reply" to your post and then add more pictures.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:33:06 am by waywardangler »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:46:59 am »
Hi Dolphin - Don't know about everyone else but I'm having problems deciphering the writing and/or signatures on the pics. If you can give a translation of what you think it says it may help.  The labels are fine...  Just the writing...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 01:27:10 pm »
Agree with Oceans. Really a couple of nice close-ups of the signatures and also of any section of the paintings would be great.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 06:10:27 pm »
Really need those signatures, Almost impossible without that. !! On the first few pics, I thought possibly Hudson River school artists. Probably later than that but certainly an influence in the paintings.

dolphin717

• View Profile
Re: Please help ID these paintings and/or prints..more pics
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:34:31 pm »
few more pics

dolphin717

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:35:39 pm »
one more

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:15:16 pm »
First painting looks like Peter De Koven or Kaven.
Second is unreadable to me and the 3rd says something like "and painted (printed?) in color above x x signature" in cursive is unreadable to me also. The 3rd one is "Frans Hals Jester with a Lute" but it is a print and not the original painting.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:33:00 pm by waywardangler »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 07:38:26 pm »
Using the name Peter De Koven, I checked all the known artists of the Hudson River School movement but could not find his name  listed. However his name comes up in association with it. Not sure and couldn`t find exactly how !!  He could have been a property owner in the area or associated in some other way !! You would have to do a bit of research to find the connection !! I did not read the guidebook but the information may be in it !! Just google Peter De Koven, artist and you will find it !! I think it was the first listing. It would be well worth the effort to find information on him !!  Hudson River School artists produced many of our great landscape artists such as Frederick Church, Albert Bierstadt, Thomas Moran, great painter of the American west, and others !!