Author Topic: Help with any information about these chinese/japanese plates  (Read 2317 times)

Mistymaz

• View Profile
Hi,

I posted these images up well over a year ago but still haven't been able to find any information about them. I was wondering if anyone had any information and/or know the value of these plates?

These plates were given to us by my grandfather who purchased them at a car boot sale (flea market) in london around the 1950's or 60's. All three of the plates seem to be hand painted.

The plates are quite small in size. Similar to the size of a teacup saucer; about 16cm in diameter.

Thanks,
Marie

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:01:31 am by Mistymaz »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with any information about these chinese/japanese plates
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:39:11 pm »
On the back side of the plate....is that a label or is it painted?  Any words or letters anywhere on the plate?  Look closely and at all angles please!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:54:53 pm »
They appear to be Japanese export wares as the two shown are all the same basic decoration !! Is the third one like the two shown ??  They are hand painted and many people used cottage art to make a living after the war and in fact still make tourist items !!  They were probably purchased as souveniers !!

Mistymaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:57:13 am »
On the back side of the plate....is that a label or is it painted?  Any words or letters anywhere on the plate?  Look closely and at all angles please!

Hi,

Yes the red label with the gold 'y' looking symbol is hand painted on all three of the plates. I had a look everywhere on each of the plates and i can't see any other words or letters.

I've just added some information about the size of the plates to the post too, if that helps?

Mistymaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:59:54 am »
They appear to be Japanese export wares as the two shown are all the same basic decoration !! Is the third one like the two shown ??  They are hand painted and many people used cottage art to make a living after the war and in fact still make tourist items !!  They were probably purchased as souveniers !!

Hi,

Thanks for the info :)

Yes, the third plate has the exact same design. All are slightly different due to being hand painted.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:11:41 am »
 That is what I thought !! Like I said before, many did items like your plates as export wares. That is why all are the same basic design with only small variations. During the 50`s and later many were exported and sold at department stores here !!  They are commonly found here at garage sales and flea markets !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:03 am »
I believe this was made for import to to other countries like mart stated earlier - not USA because it would most likely have import required markings.  My folks have a plate with this character/makers mark as well - which was bought overseas in the mid 50's.

The character can be Chinese or Japanese (Japan got most of their marks from China originally).  Believe this is Japanese.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 09:49:09 am »
KC, I forgot she is in the UK !!  My mother had similar pieces that were purchased at Woolworths, a small dept store here !! They indeed had a paper label with country of origin on it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »
Okie Dokie Mart!  Good Job!

Mistymaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 05:17:31 am »
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated :)