Author Topic: AFRICAN ART OR INDIAN  (Read 1285 times)

oombaba

• View Profile
AFRICAN ART OR INDIAN
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »
I AM TRYING TO IDENTIFY THIS WOODEN HEAD CARVING THAT I PURCHASED AT AN AUCTION THIS PAST WEEKEND. IT HAS NO MARKINGS ON IT, BUT IT IS VERY DETAILED. I'M NOT SURE IF IT IS AFRICAN ART OR INDIAN ART, OR IF IT IS OLD OR NEW. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.  THE SCULPTURE IS 18 INCHES TALL AND I SEE NO MARKINGS ON THE BASE. THE BASE DOES NOT LOOK ORIGINAL, AND THERE ARE 2 SCREWS IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BASE.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:13:22 pm by oombaba »

mart

• View Profile
Re: AFRICAN ART OR INDIAN
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 07:45:28 pm »
Please give size of carving and is there anything at all on the bottom of the base ?? Or does it look like a label was possibly there at one time ??  Perhaps a spot that is a different color ??

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:33:51 pm »
Going by physical features I'd guess African or possibly Aztec. That about as much help as I can be.  :-[

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 06:58:21 am »
The base looks to be different wood from the carving !!  It possibly is attached by the two screws !! If it were mine I would remove the screws and see if there is some identification on the carving itself !!  Without some way to attribute it to a particular group of people, identifying it would just be a guess !!  Could be from many places !!  Many people in less developed countries do carvings as tourist items !! They are quite good at it and are very detailed !!