Author Topic: Glass Perfume Bottle  (Read 4380 times)

Mistymaz

• View Profile
Glass Perfume Bottle
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:01:43 am »
Hi,

I'm looking for any information and/or the value of what i think is a glass, perfume bottle that was purchased at a market in london around the 1960's. It seems to have had a bottle top/lid of some sort beforehand, which unfortunately i don't have.

After close inspection, i noticed it had a very small hallmark on the top of the bottle. From what i can make out, the hallmark starts of with a 'G' followed by possibly two 'i' 's or a 'u' - can't really make it out. After that theres an anchor symbol, followed by a symbol of a lion then the number 1 or letter I.

I have posted a couple of pictures of both the bottle and hallmark below.

*EDIT*
Doing some of my own research, it's a possibility it was made by Geroge Unite, in the 1800's? Can anyone clarify or add to that?

Thanks,
Marie

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:23:06 am by Mistymaz »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Glass Perfume Bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:35:16 am »
Nice perfume bottle !! It appears to have had a glass stopper !! English hallmarks so probably silver !! The glass could have been made by a number of factories and the silver by another. The initials are probably the designer of the bottle !! Mario could probably help with this one !!

Mistymaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:22:22 am »
Nice perfume bottle !! It appears to have had a glass stopper !! English hallmarks so probably silver !! The glass could have been made by a number of factories and the silver by another. The initials are probably the designer of the bottle !! Mario could probably help with this one !!

Ah, thanks for the info :)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:28:07 am »
It really is hard to make out the hallmarks, but certainly a silver collar. The top may also have been silver with a glass stopper... unfortunately without the stopper the price would be a fraction of its value complete.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 01:14:30 pm »
Mistymaz, can you get a magnifier and id the marks?  Very attractive piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:34:15 pm »
It's definitely Birmingham Assay, and the maker may be George Unite, but no telling without a clrearer image of the date and maker's letters
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:58:37 am by mariok54 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 11:27:41 am »
Gonna see if I can get it a bit clearer, until we see a more detailed closeup.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 12:04:40 pm »
Thanks sapphire... Could be an L, making it 1860 ... but the maker's mark? I'm still opting for George Unite

Mistymaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 01:06:14 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm afraid that's the best i can do at the moment! believe it or not, the photo of the hallmark IS actually under a magnifier. It's a VERY small hallmark, i find it hard to make it out myself, but i'll try and see if i can get a better/closer picture of the hallmark later and post it up.

Personally i believe the first two letters are possibly a GU? and the last symbol is an 'I'. The mark is a little worn itself, so it's very hard to make out :S
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:08:28 pm by Mistymaz »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 03:07:32 pm »
George Unite mark (GU), by date......

http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilvermarksXGDUE3.html

Birmingham Date Letter Chart, along with another example of GU mark......

http://www.925-1000.com/dlBirmingham.html

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 01:44:18 am »
Thanks sapphire... Could be an L, making it 1860 ... but the maker's mark? I'm still opting for George Unite

Forget that ... pre 1890 it should have Victoria's head. so we're probably looking at an l, which might make it 1910?

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 08:34:40 am »
I have messed with this a bit to get a clearer image of the symbols...but the pic or stamps are not great for making better. The BEST thing is to take a loupe and physically look at this. The pixels and small size of the pic are a problem.

My thoughts...the first two letters are GM (the G is not clear and could be a C but the other is a M). The marks look like an anchor, a lion, and a "1". Yes, a "1". Not an I or a L. I have not looked this hallmark up yet but that is what I can make out. Why is it a "1"? There is a break to the right of the bottom "foot"  that should not be there if this was an "L". Why not an "I"? I do not see the top right extension for an I.

All are JMO and subject to change and further review.

Birmingham 1910. The "1" is a small case "l" and the date chart shows this as 1910. Mario you are correct!
I believe it is a "CM" for Charles May. That maker's mark was registered in Birmingham in 1876. Look at his example of his work http://www.925-1000.com/bx_cMay_B.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:00:52 am by waywardangler »