Author Topic: Need Help Locating a Similar Antique Violin Case  (Read 26283 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Need Help Locating a Similar Antique Violin Case
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 10:29:27 am »
Thanks ladies! The last one has potential for restoration, but since I'm giving up one that is in good, ready-to-use shape, I was kinda hoping to find one similar that wouldn't require further investment.

What I don't want is one like this- these are the run-of-the-mill cheap 19th century wood ones, always painted black with rounded ends. These are veneered, they split and fall apart and are a world apart from the one I'm giving up, that was lovingly hand made. Turns out that the father of the family it came from was a cabinet maker, so mine was likely made by him.

I want to avoid this type:

Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 03:37:38 pm »
Tales, I'm keeping an close eye on the Cape Breton Kijiji.........fidd ling capital of Canada, there's got to be some good ones floating around there  ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 06:29:07 pm »
Thanks! I'm afraid this is going to be fairly tough to find.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 07:57:40 pm »
Don't know why I didn't think of this place earlier, hubby has bought from them since shortly after they opened 40 years ago..........they have have had a myriad of antique instruments and accessories pass through their doors over the years.

I shot off a note asking if they might have or know where to find one (included pics)......there isn't a musician in NS who doesn't know their shop, as well as many big name Canadian and American artists who have become customers.

http://www.halifaxfolklorecentre.com/about

Check out their gallery of shop and instrument photos .......will let you know what I hear back

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 12:21:08 am »
Cool! That place looks like it would have possibilities. Thanks!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 02:18:00 am »
Ugghhh!  Not particularly helpful  :P

"Hello:  Sorry, but we do not have a case like yours at this time. Good luck in your search.
 Regards, M.Dorward"

Hopefully if they do come across one they'll look up my email as I also asked that if they had any
suggestions as to where one might be found.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »
Thank-you for trying! These kinds of cases are tough to come by.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 01:45:27 pm »
This one might do the trick. I've emailed the seller asking for more photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260769726934&fromMakeTrack=true

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 12:55:31 pm »
Well, the seller at the auction above never responded to the request for additional pics/info. I found this one in Australia and although it's not quite as nice as what I've got and it needs a new liner it might do the trick. The seller is checking on shipping costs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110679646138&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I've been exchanging several emails with the recipient of my case. She is really excited. It is the only relic known to exist from this part of the family and it is her namesake, so she is really thrilled. She's planning a family dinner at which she will "unveil" the violin for her family, once it is in her possession. Really nice to know that it is going where it will be treasured and I'm feeling good about the whole thing. She's in CA, so once we locate a case for me, we're going to meet up to hand off the cases. She says she wants me to see the smile on her face when she sees it. Really nice lady. I'll keep you guys posted on how this goes.

waywardangler

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 02:46:42 pm »
Tales, to me, that case looks like a refinished common black paint/stain model you detest. I could be wrong but the inside edge is black and the wood looks refinished. I think you could do the same by stripping the common black ones and then using a natural finish. JMO.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 03:57:52 pm »
You know I thought that at first too, but the seller insists it is solid wood. It could be that they are just clueless. I have asked for a series of up-close photos showing the wood where there is some kind of notch, all the hardware etc. and specifically showing that this is solid wood and not layered. I've seen several stripped vaneer cases out there and it's not always easy to tell in the photos. I kind of wonder if I should just avoid anything with rounded ends and assume it is this type of cheap case?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 04:37:41 pm »
What about this one tales.  Price is quite a bit higher than the one you're looking at, but from the pics it looks to be 'real' wood. But it would need work  :(

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ANTIQUE-WOODEN-COFFIN-BOX-Case-VIOLIN-FIDDLE-/380334715457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588db73241#ht_668wt_1132

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 05:07:26 pm »
It has a huge split down the back.  :(  Actually several hundred $$ would not be at all out of line for the price on the case. I paid about $200 for mine and felt like I got a really good deal. I think its just going to take some time to find the right one.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 05:14:31 pm »
Too bad this one wasn't listed on ebay.........though definitely not as old as or with the character of yours

http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-string-Antique-Wooden-Full-Size-Violin-Case-W0QQAdIdZ275921686#

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 05:48:44 pm »
I'm almost a bit scared of the price being so low. There must be some reason why, I would think. I figured the current low price on the one I posted above is an opening bid, but it doesn't look to be drawing much attention. When I have brought my case around other violinists, they are always ooohing and ahhhing over it. No one in their right mind would slap a $20 price tag on it. So hard to tell in some of these photos what is really going on.