Author Topic: Need Help Locating a Similar Antique Violin Case  (Read 26281 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Need Help Locating a Similar Antique Violin Case
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:24 am »
That's another of the veneer ones. I'm finding that anything with rounded ends is veneered. I'm still looking, so thanks for posting that!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 11:02:07 am »
Talesof....I just love hearing your stories and the compassion you have for reuniting families with treasures!  The joy of this site!!!!

As for the reasoning for the low amount....remember. ....if it isn't of value to the person selling it.....most people don't research to find out the value and will take what they get.  I know we always have a skeptic eye here for repros and advantage-takers because we have seen them many times....but there are also genuine great deals out there!  For $20 it could be a good thing if it is the real thing!  Don't overlook the "wild cards"!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 07:06:35 pm »
This one came up on Ebay today. Not sure about the age with that type of clasp, maybe 1940's/50's? I really don't want 20th century and would rather hang on for a 19th century case, but let me know if this could be older.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Antique-Wood-Wooden-Violin-Case-Very-Nice-/380339443674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588dff57da

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 09:58:44 am »
This one looks good, but the latches have me concerned. I'm not sure how old it really is. Although I was looking at it again this morning and realized that my steamer trunk has the same design, so I guess the technology for these "jelly jar" latches was around as early as 1890. Opinions anyone?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 12:08:26 pm »
Just glancing through pictures of antique trunks and cases, those latches were quite common 'back then'.  Nice looking case tales!!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 06:53:51 am »
Wonder if the seller has any info?  Very nice looking.  Do you think the liner has been replaced?
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 10:33:02 am »
Yes, it looks like a replacement liner held in with modern upholstery tacks. I don't mind replacing that so I'm not concerned about it. I've sent the seller an email asking for up-close photos of the hardware and asking about things like mass-produced vs. hand-cut nails and screws. Looks like it could do nicely if it is old enough.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2011, 11:05:00 am »
Oh....can hear it now....you will get a new one....tear out the old upholstery....and there will be names/history....  :)  LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2011, 11:34:38 am »
Ha! Deja vu!!! :D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2011, 03:24:41 pm »
Got some additional pictures. They don't know the age, it was an auction purchase. I don't think they have any experience looking at hardware from the email I got. They just don't know, although they did feel that the hinges were replacements. Unfortunately their camera doesn't do well with close-ups, but have a look:

These screw slots look off-center to me, especially the one second up from the bottom, left side:

The handle looks nice n' old, the screw on the left side also looks off-center (hand slotted) unless I'm seeing things:

Not sure about these hinges. I would agree that they could be replacements, but I don't see any sign of old mounting holes:

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2011, 10:55:32 pm »
Skip that last one- This is the one I've asked her to bid on. Needs the interior redone but the outside looks great, lots of age and nicely made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAUTIFUL-ANTIQUE-ARCHED-HAND-CARVED-WOOD-VIOLIN-CASE-/320700412706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aab3bf322

tmerrifield

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 03:46:53 am »
Looks like a nice case-  Have been enjoying the whole tread-  Good luck

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 07:27:15 am »
Think you have a winner there!  Do you think the black was once paint or grunge turned patina? 
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 07:56:08 am »
Unfortunately their camera doesn't do well with close-ups
Usually it is operator error because they are too close for the lens or lens setting on the camera. Most lens (even a macro lens) have a minimum distance one must be from the subject. The camera operator crossed that distance with those shots.

That being said, the hinges do not look like they were inlet expertly, the screw heads on the hinges are most likely replacements. The case looks very nice. I would not be bothered by the hardware too much as that can be replaced.

The last case also looks real nice and the dark spots appear to be grunge to me and not old black paint. The patina on that surface would have taken years to accumulate. A stripped surface would not have that look. JMO.