Author Topic: Need Help Locating a Similar Antique Violin Case  (Read 26280 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Need Help Locating a Similar Antique Violin Case
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 10:21:04 am »
Yes the last case looks very, very similar to the construction/design/age of the one I am giving up. I have to chuckle to myself when I think about what it is going to look like when she and I meet in a restaurant and swap violin cases... Fortunately I don't look too much like a Mafioso.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2011, 12:56:32 pm »
Wear bright colors or at least, do not wear black w sunglasses.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2011, 04:34:35 pm »
I say wear the sunglasses and ALL your bling..... 

People need something to talk about around the dinner table  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 03:39:41 am »
Ditto what Oceans64 said!  LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 06:46:47 pm »
Update: The family won the auction for just over $100 for the case so we are good to go, and will be meeting up soon to do what we are now both calling our "Mafioso Exchange"  :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 10:43:53 am »
UPDATE: We are meeting this coming Saturday for dinner for the "Mafiosa Violin Case Hand-off" I will take a couple of photos for you guys since you have followed along with this for so long.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2011, 10:48:08 am »
Congrats Talesof!  This has been coming for a while!  Nice to see you getting the case back to it's "roots" and you getting a great case!  Win Win!!!!

Pics will be fun!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 11:28:02 am »
How cool, Tails! They must be so happy you were the one to have purchased the case. What a wonderful thing to do!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2011, 01:01:14 pm »
I'm actually really looking forward to this. I've exchanged so many emails with this lady and she is so excited about getting the case that I'm really pleased to be a part of it. Her most recent email said that I would always have a special place in her family for having helped bring this case back to them. How sweet is that? They are also taking Hubby and I out to dinner. Definitely a win-win all the way around.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2011, 04:53:09 pm »
Our "Mafiosa Violin Case Exchange" goes down at 5:30pm PST tonight! They are treating Hubby and I to a nice dinner out as well, so I will have some pictures of us later tonight.

I'm going to have a little surprise for her. Earlier today I spoke to the widow of the man who had done the restoration of the case and had written the "secret message" in the bottom of the case, under the lining. I'm going to call her up when we get to the restaurant and put her on speakerphone so that she can be a part of the evening!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2011, 05:45:25 pm »
That's great! Hope you have a wonderful time.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2011, 12:16:40 am »
We had SUCH a good time! Kathy and her family were really terrific and our server joined in with the jokes that were were a couple of shady "Mafiosas" there to hold up the restaurant! I got Joanna on the phone, she was the wife of the man who had restored the case many years ago, as so she was able to join us long distance for a few minutes.

Kathy was really excited to have the case. Look at her smile in the photo! We had several people who asked why we had two old violin cases with us in the restaurant and she was telling everyone there the story of how I had returned her ancestor's violin case to her family. I really am so glad that this happened. I like my replacement case and it really was wonderful to see how thrilled Kathy was to see the case, which I found out would likely have been built by her great-great-grandfather who was a cabinet maker. 

It was so neat, when we opened up the case, pulled back the lining and she saw the writing inside she gasped out loud, and when I showed her where the children's names were written and the name of her ancestor, she reached out and put her fingers on the names, as if she was reaching out to them. I have done that so many times researching my own family, and it was so neat to see that she really will treasure this for the rest of her life. It was exactly what one hopes for when you give something up, that it will be treasured as much or even more than you treasured it.

It was happy ending after more than a century, and it is time to say "case closed"  :)

Here are the photos from tonight. I'm the blonde lady, Kathy is the brunette. She is sitting holding her family's case and I'm holding my "new" one. Seated with Kathy are her husband David and son Ryan. That's my hubby Bob, next to me with his eyes closed!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 01:06:42 am »
How strange is it that I have tears in my eyes...what an awesome story tales. Just imagining her touching those names got to me, the fact that her ancestors wrote their history on that very spot over 100 years ago is "touching!" Great job, you look like you had an awesome time and you all look so happy! Her GG grandfather is probably smiling, too.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2011, 01:24:51 am »
Aww! It was an incredibly cool evening.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 10:57:11 am »
I bet that woman will have a smile on her faces for months! Such a wonderful event! Great story and a happy ending. WTG, Tales!