Author Topic: Smoking/Tobacco Pipe  (Read 3068 times)

Mistymaz

• View Profile
Smoking/Tobacco Pipe
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:57:51 am »
Hi,

I have an old tobacco pipe that use to belong to my granddad. I believe he bought it from a car boot sale (flea market) either in London or Ireland, around the 60's or 70's Theres no markings (hallmarks, stamps etc) that i can see.

Curious to know if anyone has any information about it. I've posted a few pictures below.

Thanks,
Marie

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Smoking/Tobacco Pipe
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:16:56 am »
      What is the size of the Pipe?  Looks kind of small to be a tobacco pipe.  Not that I'm a expert here sure looks like a old Opium Pipe to me.  Really a cool Pipe, thanks for sharing.

Mistymaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:40:36 am »
      What is the size of the Pipe?  Looks kind of small to be a tobacco pipe.  Not that I'm a expert here sure looks like a old Opium Pipe to me.  Really a cool Pipe, thanks for sharing.

Oh quite possibly, i just automatically assumed it was a tobacco pipe. It's about 15 cms long?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:49 am »
I agree with Ironlord, the mouthpiece doesn't look like the normal tobacco pipe.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:01:47 am »
Wow, that is really cool. I'm gonna take a semi-wild guess at late 1800's for a date based on the style of the chain and other fittings. Very cool. Looks like someones special favorite pipe!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:58:26 pm »
They made mouthpieces like this in the 1800's and even earlier!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 04:33:56 am »
As a use-to-be tobacca pipe smoker I wasa thinking it would have been extremely difficult to keep a straight-stemmed tobacca pipe bowl in a vertical position when holding it between one's teeth without the aid of a flattened mouthpiece.

The shape of the mouthpiece really wouldn't matter for any kind of smoking pipe that is not normally held in one's mouth by their teeth.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:40:39 am »
I hate to admit it Cogar, but I have to agree (not hate agreeing with you, but to the fact that I, in my youth, smoked a pipe... looked so COOL! .. NOT.. as they'd say nowadays)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 08:13:43 pm »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:33:08 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!