Poll

How do you use this site to evaluate things?

same
0 (0%)
new
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Art Deco bedroom set  (Read 2887 times)

Aquarius

• View Profile
Art Deco bedroom set
« on: April 16, 2011, 03:54:19 pm »
I have an art Deco bedroom to be evaluated and maybe somebody knows its origin How does this site workplease?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: I am a new member
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 04:26:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum Aquarius. You can post you query in the Questions section. As many pictures as possible, showing up close construction are a great help...especially side and back views of drawers to show the method of joining.  Back, underside, legs....anything that give members a view of how it was manufactured.  Many members here are quite familiar with dating and style, possibly even discovering the manufacturer.  Often $$ value depends on the current market as well as your location combined with the currents 'trends' in different areas.

Feel free to post away (bearing in mind size often limits pictures to 3 per post), so multiple posts are often necessary. The more 'full size' the picture, the easier it is to distinguish details.

You'll find a great bunch here and hope you will stick around. ;)

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:44:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum , Aquarius !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:47:14 pm »
Maybe wayward can move this to the questions forum? It gets more traffic than this section!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:49:48 pm »
Good thinkin' , 321 !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

waywardangler

Re: Art Deco bedroom set
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:44 pm »
I have moved it but with problems. I cannot remove the poll for some reason and I was going to split the topic and leave part on the new member thread but I cannot split the first topic so everything is here. I also changed the title to reflect what Aquarius is wondering about. For some reason the Fifth Dimension song is now stuck in my head.  :P  Aquarius, A q u a r i u s...Marilyn MacCoo stop singing!  ;D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:36:57 am »
'When the moon is in the Seventh House, and Jupiter aligns with Mars ...' La ... la ... la  

Good job you can't hear me singing!

Could you post some clearer pictures?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:40:00 am by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 08:13:21 am »
Loved the song then and still do !!  Louder Mario !!!!!   LOL

Sure need more pics of that suite along with close-ups front and back inside and out !!  All details will help us !!  Its a beautiful suite !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 08:21:54 am »
I think it is gorgeous and looks to be in great condition. Unfortunately, it may not be worth as much as one would think monetarily. Art deco/waterfall/ 1930's stuff doesn't agree with people's decorating tastes these days. Doesn't mesh very well with home decor anymore. There's a lot of companies reproducing victorian, primitive, french provincial furniture...not very many reproducing art deco. Not saying that it is completely out of fashion, just not as popular as other styles. Yours looks to have some fancy elements though and isn't boring, so maybe it would get snatched right up.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:28:16 am by hosman321 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 11:27:47 am »
Do think this may be an original....from what little pics you have there appear to be a few condition items (decorative work missing).

This isn't the top sought after style in furniture...however, there are many who do love this style/time period furniture.

Please post more pics/details so we can better help you!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Aquarius

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 03:52:58 pm »
Tkns for your sweet replies Aquarius is the date birth stone and the name of my house.It represents water,and since i come from sunny Malta swimming is my favourite hobby,although we are now being infested with jellyfish.Tkns for your friendship.Tomorrow we celebrate Good Friday and everybody says a prayer for peace in the world

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 04:41:48 pm »
Welcome to the group Aquarius !!  Yes, we join you in that prayer !!  Have a Happy Easter !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 05:38:34 pm »
Lovely set, it is hard to tell much from the photos, it looks like it may have been restored, I don't see any signs of wear or regular use that you would expect to see. As they said above, we need photos showing the construction- drawer joins, back side, nail heads etc.

That said, I had to keep the song going it's always been one of my favs...

Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 05:45:39 pm »
Stop it Tales! Now that song is in my head!

Hmmm, sunny Malta. I wish it was sunny in Wisconsin instead of gloomy, cloudy, and cold for Spring. Are the jellyfish of the stinging type like Man 'o War? That would get me out of the water fast.

Let the sunshine
Let the sunshine in
The sunshine in

Let the sunshineLet the sunshine in
The sunshine in

Let the sunshine
Let the sunshine inThe sunshine in

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 12:20:13 am »
Hi Aquarius,

Being in Malta can make a big difference to the value of your piece as the smaller Art Deco pieces in nice condition can still be quite popular here in Europe (obviously depends upon where you are  ;D) .. Another thing in its favour is the colour, it is a beautifully light piece, and not the dark oak/mahogany which has fallen a little out of favour (except in this house!).
It could easily be French or even Italian, and looks like it could have been a quality piece in its day, but difficult to say for certain without better photos of its guts and exterior.