Author Topic: Vitrine/Curio Cabinet  (Read 6118 times)

janicelawsmith

• View Profile
Vitrine/Curio Cabinet
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:19:52 pm »
Can anyone tell me about this cabinet? It has 3 doors with beveled glass, looks to be bronze trim and a marble top. The only markings on the piece are on the locks. They are stamped V.F. Paris with two crossed keys. It's about 52" long, 17" wide and the height is 44".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:35:35 pm by janicelawsmith »

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Vitrine/Curio Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:39:53 pm »

The pictures could be a little clearer, but it looks like you've got a very nice French ormolu mounted cabinet there. These can fetch nice prices, but it does all depend upon condition etc.
I'm no expert, but probably latter quarter of the 19th century?
What do the others think?

Close up photos possible?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »
Appears to be French Empire but I would think that some of the gold would still show !! Wonder why it doesn`t ?? She said it looks like bronze !! Would all the ormolu have worn off do you think ?? I know its a thin layer but should be able to see it in the crevaces !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:22:27 am »
You could be right, Mart. I thought that it was just a combination of the photos and my eyesight, and I seem to have totally ignored the bit that said ... 'looks to be bronze trim ...'  ::)

Some of the late 19th c examples didn't have the same impact as earlier pieces as they had to stop using mercury in the process ... but then that process did have a different name.....? We used to have an old turn of the century clock which was mounted with later 'ormolu' and which looked very dull (and was totally unreliable).

Looking at the photos with fresher, morning eyes, it does seem very bronzey ... 

janicelawsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:17:47 am »
Can anyone tell by the photos what type of wood it is? What kind of value would you say it has?

Thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »
Have a question for you....is the piece itself marked VF Paris or is the hardware (lock) marked?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:30:59 am »
Hi KC .. I imagine that it will be the hardware. There are dozens of pieces out there, some very high end pieces, with hardware made by VF of Paris. I was looking at a couple of small cabinets the other day (on-line) with hardware by VF and they were going for over $20K. So they weren't the B&Q of their day.  I have absolutely no idea who the US version of B&Q might be .. so that little comparison has sunk somewhere mid Atlantic!  :D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 06:35:37 am »
Ah ha!!  B&Q = Home Depot with a little IKEA thrown in !   :D  (just had to google it)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:56 am »
Would love to see some shots of the construction methods. Really like the wood grain as well ....... does it appear to be solid or veneered?

janicelawsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:02:59 am »
Yes it is the lock itself that is stamped VF. I removed the back, glass shelves and bottom inside shelf to make it a little easier to move. The fabric on the back and bottom shelf is in really bad condition. It is dry rotted and simply falling apart. I pulled the fabric away from the bottom shelf and hand written on the top of the shelf is DESSUS which is french for top or on top of. I do believe the back and the inside bottom shelf are not original to the piece. I will post more pics of construction. It looks to me that it is veneer.

janicelawsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:10 am »
I purchased this piece on Saturday. It has been neglected for years. It was covered in spider webs and is filthy dirty. I would like to have it professional restored. I'm just not sure how much I should invest in it?????

Here are a few more pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61968457@N07/with/5638072890/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:57:21 am »
That depends on how much you invested in buying the piece !! And if your intentions are to sell it or keep it !!

janicelawsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 10:05:04 am »
I paid $150 for it! The guy said he just wanted to sell it and get on with his day. I would like to keep it.

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 10:10:04 am »
I do not see a whole heck of a lot wrong with it. I would use some Old English furniture polish on it and then see how it looks. It just looks like normal use marks to me. If that crack on the joint is stable and not loose, I would not worry about it until it does loosen. Some Old English will make the current wood finish pop! $150 was a steal.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:53:25 am »
You are kidding ???  At that you did steal it !!  LOL  Like Wayward said just polish it well with old english and use it !! I would have guessed that you paid at least $500. for it and to me that would have been cheap !! I wopuld do nothing as far as refinishing it goes !! If you do you lose most of the antique value it has !! And your wood looks to be mahogony !!