Author Topic: Vitrine/Curio Cabinet  (Read 6117 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Vitrine/Curio Cabinet
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 12:56:30 pm »
I think $150 is an amazing deal (as I drool with envy). I love, love, LOVE the etched glass.  Agree with others that Old English will do wonders and is a good place to start prior to making the decision about restoration.  If you do that and live with it for a few months, you'll probably stop seeing it's flaws.

Was the fabric original to the piece?  You could probably replace that yourself with minimal effort...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

janicelawsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:22 pm »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I don't think the fabric is original it has to go unfortunately. Not sure if I would like to replace with fabric or mirror. I've seen similar cabinets on the net some with fabric and some with mirrors. 

waywardangler

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »
I would replace with mirrors to show off the contents. I don't think fabric would do much to showcase your treasures. Every curio cabinet we have, has mirrors in the back. JMO.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 02:01:18 pm »
I vote mirrors....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 02:06:23 pm »
A great buy, a real snip! ... and I would also vote for mirrors... although the most expensive option they will, as Wayward says, show things off to their best advantage.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 09:44:21 am »
Agree fabric wasn't original.

I love French furniture (don't have much) but have always "specialized" in the French style/culture.  This is a lovely piece.  You did good on pricing....REAL GOOD.  Possibly someone repainted the gold?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

janicelawsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 03:15:16 pm »
No it's not painted.