Author Topic: Help identifying wooden spoked tires  (Read 3506 times)

Ryanxia

• View Profile
Help identifying wooden spoked tires
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:05:13 pm »
Hello all, first post here. I have some old truck tires that have metal rims but wooden spokes. They have been in my grandmothers barn for many years and she wanted to know what they might be worth. Also any history would be really neat. I have done some searching online but haven't found anything that looks like these.

Here are the markings that I can make out:

Goodyear
Truck Tires
All Weather

T276473-193K

I appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Help identifying wooden spoked tires
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:02:07 pm »
I know these can still be purchased for antique autos. Here's what the new ones are selling for:

http://www.calimerswheelshop.com/Price_list.htm

Here's an antique pair a bit different from yours selling on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Antique-Wooden-Spoke-Cast-Iron-Car-Wheels-Rims-Pair-/320645937806

and finally, here's an antique one being given away free:

http://baltimore.ebayclassifieds.com/parts-accessories/elkton/antique-wooden-spoke-rim/?ad=8080428
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:14:56 pm »
I think yours are from a 1927 Model T truck !! Did your grandparents have one ?? Tires and rims are separate so you have to look them up separately. There were not a lot of options in tires back then except size.  You got truck tires in whatever size,,period !!  I almost bought a 1928 Model T flatbed truck once !!  Have kicked myself ever since for not getting it !!!  If I remember correctly thats what the T27 in the number system stands for. All the numbers and letters may be like our VIN number !!  I am sure the guys will correct me if I am wrong !! Just to be sure though,, the numbers are on the metal rims aren`t they ??

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:32 pm »
Pretty good call Mart,  I have a Sears Catalog from that year ( Repo ), so had to go look at some examples.  Look like they are worth $16.00 for a set of 4  ;)  O.K. that was in 1927 "Balloon Wheels and rims Guarenteen Hickory wood.  They have some pick of wheels that look much like those in the pic above.  Anyway that seems like a good price for a set of 4 to me, wander if shipping cost $100.00  :D

Ryanxia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:50:59 am »
Thanks for the quick replies!

Mart - the number system is on the tire itself, I'm not sure about the actual rim because of the rust er patina :)

Iron - is that $16 in today's money?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:10:48 am »
There are many Model T Clubs nationwide as well as groups online similar to this group !!  I would suggest that you check with them for prices. The original wheels are getting harder to find so don`t be too quick in selling them. Most restorers do not want repro, they want original !! So if they are in reasonable condition they might be your best bet for selling them !!

Ryanxia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:33:36 am »
Thanks Mart I appreciate the input!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 10:53:22 am »
No !!  That $16.00 was in 1927 money !!  I think they are a bit higher now !!  And if you have a set of 4 in good condition,,even better !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 11:02:28 am »
Nice answers , folks .

As to the value of the tires , I'd offer the opinion that they're worth very little , since the ones depicted in your images are severely 'checked' (cracks in the rubber) .

Like another member mentioned , the original wheels do potentially have some value , provided that the wood/metal in them is not too badly damaged .

The wheels are of a 'split-rim' design , which are among the most dangerous to mount tires to - don't try it @ home .... they need to be inflated within a safety cage , in the event that the metal split-rim slips &/or strips/breaks (those things 'flying around' , without a safety cage , have been the cause of many deaths & injuries) .

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:48 pm »
Fun items!  Do believe someone would want to get their hands on them if they are original...cracked rubber or not!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ryanxia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 03:21:23 pm »
Thank you everyone for the replies. And mart - I figured it was 1927 money I just wanted to clarify.
I'm glad to get so much feedback!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 03:37:37 pm »
A set of four wooden Studebaker wheels just posted on our local Craigslist for $500. Seems a bit optimistic to me, since an antique wooden wheel would probably not be safe to drive on.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2335136157.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:43:52 pm »
You would be surprised how safe they are !!  There are many people here in our town that have them and go everywhere !! Many clubs travel cross country in model T`s !!  I figured she knew that the tires needed to be replaced !! They would be dry rotted !! However the wheels looked surprisingly good !!

Ryanxia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 03:49:16 am »
I'm making the obvious assumption that the tires are junk or close to it. The wheels themselves seem to be pretty good structurally. The wooden spokes don't seem to be rotted/comprimised so hopefully if she decides to sell them at some point they will be useful for someone. She may even wish to sell them now after learning that may be of value to someone.

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:56 am »
The rubber tires are junk and un-useable. However, I would sell them as is, then you would not have to pay the tire recycling fee to scrap the rubber (if you have a fee).