Author Topic: What year is this (table) from?  (Read 2681 times)

love.the.old.days

• View Profile
What year is this (table) from?
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:52:33 pm »
A friend of mine is selling this table and I was curious if anyone knows what year (or time frame) this piece is from? She does not know. She just works at the auction house that has agreed to sell it.
I have done several (ok many) searches and I come up empty handed. I'm not really good at guessing stuff like this.
Any help is appreciated!! :)

Thanks.
--JJ

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: What year is this (table) from?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:14:49 pm »
Are you (or your friend) able to get a few more pics of it? Furniture styles have been copied and reproduced and sometimes dating them can be one big mish mash of confusion if you go on a single picture. It's beautiful though, first impressions from a single picture scream 1920's-30's to me.

love.the.old.days

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:25:18 pm »
This is the only picture that was posted. I copied and pasted just to try and get some info on it. She doesn't even know where it came from. :/ Sorry.
I appreciate you trying to help me though.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 05:34:42 pm »
Good luck with it! I really do like the style. Let us know if you do get it. I'm sure a few (more educated) opinions will be posted soon. I also notice that one place that has fairly significant damage and wear throughout. That will cost a good bit to repair, so keep that in mind when bidding. :)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 05:36:09 pm »
I'm also a bit confused about those table feet. I wonder if they were replacements or if they are original. They don't really match the table. If they are original, I think the table maybe have been made a bit more recently...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:40:50 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 05:48:08 pm »
The casters are modern replacements. There appears to be some fairly sizeable pieces of veneer missing on that apron. I think hosman is right on with the dating. I have seen this type of set before at household auctions but never paid any attention to what they sold for.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:55:16 pm »
Wayward, with the damage, funky feet and time period, what would you guess is a fair amount to pay for this set? If it were in perfect condition, I'd say about $350. With all that damage, I'd think around $150.

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 06:03:39 pm »
I do not think that style is favored ( at least not in the Midwest) for a dining set anymore. I think one would be lucky to get $150 in today's market with that damage and dark wood. JMO. Hosman, is that style in demand in the NW?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 06:07:42 pm »
I think it is still in good demand here and table sets like this go pretty quickly on CL. Not high dollar by any means, but still popular.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 06:20:08 pm »
The names I am running into for this style are Jacobean and Depression Era so spot on hosman! Your price estimate seems to be right also for good condition. I think this set (table at least) is less than good condition.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 07:08:47 pm »
Walnut gateleg table, 20`s or 30`s is about right!! Could be a little later. Farmhouse style and the chairs and table are different but same time frame !! Late Empire !! Not very popular here either !! Wayward is about right on the price,, around $150. most area`s !!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:20:54 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 09:45:47 am »
Agreeing with 1930's...$150...need to check for splintering and solid joints!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

love.the.old.days

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 08:39:24 pm »
Thank ya'll so much. It is priced at $200...which I thought was a bit high just because of all the damage. I appreciate all the help. You guys ROCK! :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 06:34:59 am »
With a little TLC it would look nice in a country kitchen !!  Great little breakfast table !!