Author Topic: old silver ornate hairbrush  (Read 2240 times)

anneofthewoods

• View Profile
old silver ornate hairbrush
« on: April 21, 2011, 03:31:52 pm »
I have one of those old heavy silver brushes that my grandma used to have as a set (with mirror, jewelry box, etc).  It has a pattern stamped into it, but no writing anywhere.  Is it worth anything?  Anyone know how to find out what kind it is?  thanks!

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: old silver ornate hairbrush
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 03:49:39 pm »
Hello and welcome.
You need to inspect the piece carefully and see whether there are any hallmarks identifying it as silver, and if so, then a close up photo of them will tell us a lot about its age and where it originated.
The style looks late Victorian/Edwardian. Even if it is Sterling silver, then as a single piece from a larger set then it won't be worth a fortune. The sad thing is that with the price of silver as high as it is nowadays people would buy it just for its scrap value.

anneofthewoods

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:37 pm »
thanks very much for the quick reply!  I've re-inspected it, and there are definitely no words or numbers stamped on it anywhere.  Hmmm... I guess I'm out of luck? 

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:39:24 pm »
 I would guess it is probably silver plate then and the value would be minimal.

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:16:37 am »
is there any sign of wear (copper / brass colour) if not might be continental silver  (white metal) not as valuable as hallmarked silver, needs testing

anneofthewoods

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 08:40:08 am »
Thanks for your replies!

hmmm, yes, when I look closely in the engraved areas, I do see that copper/brass colour very faintly.  Where would I get that tested?   

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:46:40 am »
Hi Anne,

If you can see copper/brass colour, then I think what Gingertom would suggest is that it is almost certainly silver plate, this is where the plate has worn away. If that's the case then it would not really be worth going to the expense of having it tested. Sorry.
If it doesn't look brass or copper in colour, just tarnished (black) then it could be silver, but for an item that size, and of that period, even if European it would be unusual for it not to have some sort of hallmark, even numbers such as 925 (92.5% silver)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:13:23 am »
agree with Mario and others' observation about the hallmark...but...we do know from this forum....that many things have been produced without hallmarks that would normally have them!

Have you tried silver polishing a small area?  Do believe it is silverplate.  In the 1950's to 1960's many sets were made and sold to the general population for "reasonable" values that were silver-plated and mass produced overseas.  My mother had a full set, and it was not hallmarked!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:16:13 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

anneofthewoods

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 11:15:50 am »
thank you all very much for your help.  I suppose I can safely give it away now without losing any sleep. :)