Author Topic: One man's junk, another man's treasure.......  (Read 4508 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
One man's junk, another man's treasure.......
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:59:17 am »
........but in this case it's this woman's treasure  ;)

Pretty sure hubby is going to disown me, but sure hope he builds me a garage before he does. 'cause I just added another item to the 'to do' list.

One of my neighbors miscalculate which collection week this was and put this out for garbage. Luckily for me it's recyclable week and it was still sitting there when I ran an errand.  Couldn't stop on my way out but pulled over and stuffed it in on the way back in our road.

I'm running through some of the sites I know, but if anyone has a good idea of it's age throw it out there. 

A really cool thing I noticed when looking it over is a card that is nailed to the top with the name and address of likely the original owner. Hopefully it will clean up enough to be readable (is that a word?).  Seems to have all it's original hardware (except I think the lock), wood trim is intact and the steel (?) bottom is solid.

Now to find an extra pair of hands   :D

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: One man's junk, another man's treasure.......
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:05:40 am »
He probably wont disown you but he may take away the big car!!   ;D

Very nice find!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:13:18 am »
Looks in pretty good condition !!  Usually the leather handles are broken !!  Nice find !!!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:17:04 am »
Nice one Sapphire! I'd have definitely done the same, I can always use spare storage for tools etc. But I'm pretty sure, well I think I am,  that we have an odd Law over here which says that if I take 'rubbish' from a neighbour's bin, without asking, then I can be done for theft. But probably one of those laws that are never upheld!
I once passed a Skip, at the other end of our village, absolutely chocker with old bricks from an empty house that was being renovated. I kept on going back over three or four days but couldn't find anyone to ask if I could have them, so I helped myself, filled up the back of my old Land Rover that I had back then. There was quite a few hundred all in all.
Very next day as I drove passed I saw the builders, so felt compelled to stop and tell them and offer them some money. Turns out they were all too happy, didn't want any money and even put all the remaining bricks to one side for me. It took all my spare time over two weeks with a bolster and lump hammer to clean them up .. and the blisters! Recycling ?? No pain ... No gain!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:30:48 am »
He probably wont disown you but he may take away the big car!!   ;D

Very nice find!

He'd have to pry it out of my dead hands!! That 14 yr old Jeep is MINE, he only gets to be a passenger   :D

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 11:32:34 am »
mart, those handles are in amazing condition. It's quite a lift up to the floor of the jeep, I'm 5'3" and believe me they were put to work today both lifting and pulling. ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:37:04 am »
Just doing some more reading hoping to find what I'm looking for. I'd like (when the time comes) to be able to retain the old canvas if possible.  I have come across cleaning advice, but trying to find info on what to do with it after clean......don't think 'normal' paint would be the best idea.  Likely will find something in my search but if anyone has done one before tips sure are appreciated.

Any idea on age anyone? Possibly early 1900's ?

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »
Have only look briefly at google images but most trunks I'm looking at only have 2 wooden straps. Yours has 3.  Is that indicative of style or size I wonder....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 12:26:53 pm »
At first I thought that it was just the angle of the photo, but it is quite a tall beast.
You used to be able to buy canvass preservative .. but I'm going back to when I was a lad, and had a canvass tent.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 01:13:14 pm »
At first I thought that it was just the angle of the photo, but it is quite a tall beast.
You used to be able to buy canvass preservative .. but I'm going back to when I was a lad, and had a canvass tent.

You just took me back with you......I remember that too!  Messy but effective stuff  ;)

Haven't measured it yet (still in the Jeep) but here's another shot. I'm thinking around 30" high.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 02:36:29 pm »
Sapphire it is identical to the one I have, right down to the details of the clasps and such. Great find!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 03:10:45 pm »
OMG tales! I had to go find your thread and it is the same style.  Once I get it in I'll have to go over it better to see if I can find any maker's mark. Didn't notice anything that stood out.....but then again I wasn't about to do a detail examination while the neighbors watched the crazy lady from down the road. I'm very happy with it's condition and it still blows my mind what people will throw away. Geesh, why not at least ask around?  There's likely someone who would appreciate getting whatever it is you no longer have a use for.

I just took a guess by what I read about the flat top, canvas trunks and figured early 1900's.....especially considering the condition.

waywardangler

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 04:50:08 pm »
Sapphire, I would have grabbed that trunk in a minute just as you did. Great find! A week ago I was out rummaging and someone put an old all metal yard chair on the curb with a free sign on it. Well I whipped a u turn, opened the rear hatch and put it in. No qualms whatsoever. I drive down about five houses and there is its mate stuffed in the trunk of a small car stopped at a rummage sale. I think they would have taken them both if they had a larger vehicle. Lucky for me. As to the canvas on your trunk, you might want to search some canoe sites to see what they do with old canvas covered canoes. They may have some tips on restoring canvas.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 05:24:53 pm »
I never did end up donating mine, the railroad museum never responded. I'm guessing the shipping would have been too cost prohibitive. So I still have it.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 05:42:40 pm »
Thanks wayward, never thought of canoes.  Great tip!

Well, got it dragged in.......easier than I thought, cause turns out it's got rollers on the bottom. I didn't even notice them they are so low profile. In the fading light outside they appeared a brassy color.

Measures 36" long, 21 1/2" deep and 25" high (guess I was a bit off with the 30)

No sign of a plate or label but I haven't turned it over.  The lock is marked Eagle Lock Co. Terryville, CT  Pat. Dec 06, 1892......so I know when it wasn't from.  ;)

Now I just have to get it moved downstairs......or I won't be able to get out the door for work in the morning.