Author Topic: Salt & Pepper Shakers Wes Mar LTD Japan  (Read 2190 times)

agreeneyes

Salt & Pepper Shakers Wes Mar LTD Japan
« on: April 23, 2011, 03:53:55 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me something about Wes Mar Ltd Japan and if it is still in business. I found these at a yard sale and cleaned up they look very nice.  I'm unable to find out any information on the company.  Do these appear to be older or are they a newer design and are they hand painted?  Any value in them or just a nice set of salt and pepper shakers, thank you

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Salt & Pepper Shakers Wes Mar LTD Japan
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 07:03:26 pm »
     Wes Mar LTD is most likely a export Company out of Japan.  The foil Labels on them suggest Mid to Early Late Century.   As for value, there are many Shaker collectors, but take a very unsual set to get more the $10.00 or so.  I have sold several shakers all for $5.00 or under.  I hope this helps a bit.  thanks for Posting.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:07:28 pm »
Look like newer transferware rather than hand painted !! Probably 1980`s or so !!  Nice set to use though !! Never heard of that particular company but like Ironlord says its probably an export company !!  Have you tried doing a google search ??

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:52:00 am »
The plastic stoppers indicate they are relative newer items.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:42:30 am »
See this one before....import item. Agree with late 80's to early 90's.

Not high $$$...maybe $6.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

agreeneyes

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »
Appreciate all of the information thank you

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 06:55:10 am »
I sold both of those sets in my Thrift Store a few months back. I think I got around $3.50 for them. I have been told for them to be of any real value they must have cork stoppers.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 08:12:15 am »
Cork stoppers don`t really tell you anything because you can buy them in bulk on ebay !!  Many with plastic stoppers are in the collectable range and some that had corks could have been replaced with plastic !!  Most of the antique types that I have seen were filled from the top !!  Shaker lid screws off to be filled !! However I am no salt and pepper expert !! Just what I have noticed !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 08:42:31 am »
     All in All Shaker collectors are after unique and different shakers, pretty much the value is in the eye of the beholder.  However popular they still don't get into the $$.00 range at all, even the older ones.  Many shakers were made just as a collectiable item, not really functionable.  I have just got myself about 20 sets of shakers the other week all for 15.00, I will be going through them soon and see if I can make my Money back on them, Most are just that mid century shakers many with corks but so small they really have little function other then decorative value.

agreeneyes

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »
I really appreciate all of the information, thank you