Author Topic: Karpen Furniture  (Read 3197 times)

alan

Karpen Furniture
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
Does anybody have extensive knowledge of Karpen furniture?  I came across a love seat and 3 chairs, which have what looks like a jester, carved at the top of each piece. 

I hope everyone is doing well.

Alan

mart

• View Profile
Re: Karpen Furniture
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:33:21 am »
Welcome to the group, Alan !!  We really need to see pics !!  Its difficult to assess a piece of furniture without all the details of that piece !  Carved crests were in many different forms over the years !!

alan

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:31:16 pm »
Thank you Mart.  I tried posting several different pictures and it keeps telling me that the size exceeds their max.  Very frustrating, as I want to post the pics and I know Im doing it correctly, but I guess my little camera must take too hi res pics or something.  Perhaps I can send via regular email?  Anyone willing to let me know their email, I will send pics, or you can email me directly at askwemighthaveit@aol.com

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »
Alan, you can upload your pictures to a photo library like Photobucket. Once there just run your cursor across the top of it and options will appear......you can use Edit or Resize (which is a short cut) to resize them.  800 x 600 should do it (or 640 x 480 if copying and pasting). Once resized, you can either copy the IMG code and paste it in your message or copy the new pics back to your own Photo Library and upload from there, the same way you already tried (but with better luck  ;))

alan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:15:20 pm »
Hopefully this works.  This is the settee/love seat.  We have 3 matching chairs as well.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:30 pm »
The jester is, I think, a rams head !!  Empire setee Dates from about 1890 to 1920 or so !!   Has it been refinished ??  Looks like it has !!  Not a great value on these pieces but they are different and interesting !!

alan

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:22:39 pm »
Thank you for the information.  I was hoping that the 4 piece set might be worth 1,000 or so, but perhaps not. 

Thanks again

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 05:28:04 am »
Since the value depends on its usefulness in todays homes as well as collector value I doubt that it would bring more than $400. to $500.  Empire pieces just don`t have the appeal that other styles do !! Style wise it was not very graceful !! It may have looked OK in a large victorian home but it does not look good in todays homes !!  Most of the period pieces that have a high collector value can be blended in with modern pieces and look fine. They are very finely crafted with beautiful curves and features. It would be difficult to fit a group like yours in unless, like I said, you have a large old victorian house !! However if you decide to sell it,,,it may bring more in your area than it would here in mine !!

alan

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »
Thanks Mart.  I greatly appreciate the education/information.  We were trying to figure out if it was worth reupholstering and it sounds like it probably is not worth it.  Thank you again.

Alan

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 02:06:54 pm »
If you are going to try to resell it,, I would not do it !!  Chances are whoever bought it would have a different idea of fabric for their home and it would cost a penny or two to have it done !!  However if you want to keep it,, I would reupholster it !!  Since I don`t know what you paid for the set,, I would check your area antique shops for values there !! Might do better in your area than here in Texas !!