Author Topic: Russian Tea Set  (Read 4564 times)

alan

Russian Tea Set
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:15 pm »
Does anyone know what a complete antique Russian Samovar brass tea set is worth? 

ayashe

• View Profile
Re: Russian Tea Set
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:27:34 pm »
Hi alan, is there any way you can include some photos of your set?

Does your tea-set look like this Russian Samovar set that is hammered? If so, it sold for $650.

http://www.russiansamovars.com/product_detail.php?ID=1105

alan

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:34:52 pm »
This is what ours looks like.  Hopefully this helps.  Thanks for your help.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:18 pm »
   Wow that is a unique looking Samovar pot.  I would say with the unique look that would bring at least Low $$$.00.  Nice I really like it

alan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:18:42 pm »
Ironlord,

What does that mean "low $$$.00?

I just don't know if this is worth 500.00 or 5,000.  I have seen these things range big time.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:43:21 pm »
        Sorry about the confusion of the price.  Basically Low $$$.00, would be $100.00 to $300.00, This is based on just the unique of the looks.  In order to get that higher, we need to know more about the the History.  For example if we can get the Manufacter of the item, that could make it worth more, Date or Cir. and etc.  In a store or Online if you post it as a Samovar or Russian Samovar then you have so many ranges of price, some are asking $1000.00's and down to about $30.00.  But the trick here is to see what has been sold on Ebay.  Click on the Completed listing and you will see they sell around $100.00, despite what some are asking.  So just based on the looks yours is a bit more unique then most, so I can see you easily pushing into the $300.00.  Now back to what I said earlier, this is where Knowledge has power, If you know the maker and the Cir. the more you can target a higher value.  All this is of course based on Ebay Value, which is usually 1/2 of Store front value, and much less Insurance value, but this is another story.  Sorry this may leave you a bit more confused, Sure did me :o . Basically you have the $.00, $$.00, $$$.00 and etc. cause value is much like the weather, changes all the time, but Someone out there will pay you $$$$.00 for it but most will $$$.00, just have to find the one willing to pay.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:58:17 am »
here is one similar to yours, but difficult to tell how similar from the photos It states that it has a rusted & corroded base which will have reduced the hammer price.
Can't say what it sold for I'm afraid.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6784069

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:17:36 am »
Ironlord is right about ebay !!  Just because someone asks a high amount, which they often do, you can only go by the actual selling price to determine value !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:17:05 pm »
Hi!

Very familiar with Russian Samovars.  Your piece appears to be an older piece....cannot believe there aren't any markings or information posted on it...in Russian no less.  My relatives have several brass ones and all are marked...including the trays...and theirs are older ones.  Newer ones, commercially produced aren't marked all the time.

Not bearing $$$$$$$ if no markings or identifiers.

The large pot on bottom is for the heated water.  The top pot that sits on the chimney is the tea pot to hold a very concentrated tea which is put usually 1/3 in a teacup and then 2/3 cup hot water added.  A way of life in Russia/Ukraine and other countries around the area.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:21:00 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

alan

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 09:30:15 pm »
The letters "TK" appear to be stamped in several places on this set.  There is also worn marking on the front of the base, which is very difficult to see.  It may be russian but is worn and hard to make out.  Does the "TK" help at all?  I can try to take a picture of the worn letters which I can't read, but not sure anyone will be able to make them out, as I can't.  Anyway, what does the "TK" mean?

Thanks for all the comments

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 02:57:38 pm »
Alan, the more I look at your samovar I go with my initial gut feeling...that is most likely isn't Russian.  Russian items if they are marked TK have the Russian seal on them.  

Take a look at this....is this how your TK looks?
it should also have the following markings with it....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

alan

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 10:36:10 pm »
KC,

Sorry its been a while.  I will try to get close up photos of the markings.  If it is not Russian, are there Samovars that are not Russian that are still valuable?

Thanks

Alan

alan

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:51:29 pm »
Hope this helps

alan

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:53:10 pm »
more

alan