Author Topic: Weird Chair  (Read 6386 times)

bethanne95376

• View Profile
Weird Chair
« on: April 28, 2011, 05:51:10 pm »
I came across this chair in my mother's garage recently and she said she bought it at an estate sale about 35 years ago. Any idea what kind of chair it is and from what period? I can't find anything like it on the internet. The carving on the arms appear unique and do not resemble lions to me as other chairs I have seen. Please see attached pics. Any help would be appreciated. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Weird Chair
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:59:02 pm »
One word for your chair- AWESOME!!!  :D Absolutely love it. Will let the others with more furniture experience than myself comment on it, but I will throw in that I do think it will date to the late 19th century, 1890's-ish. Would love to see it with reupholstered and restored cushions, you could get some tips on doing that from the Eastlake posts in the Projects section.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bethanne95376

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:11:02 pm »
That would be my next question... I would like to have it restored, but I need more info before I go ruining it!  :) I would like to stay true to what it would have been back in it's "glory" days.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:47:38 pm »
I love this chair! I agree with tales, 1890's sounds about right. Restoring this chair should be fairly simple. The finish looks to be in good shape, I wouldn't do anything to the wood, just cushions/upholstery. Even if it has a few scuffs or scratches, it's better to leave them.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 07:46:29 pm »
Can only see one pic, the other didn`t show so I can only see the leg !!  Looks to be an Empire piece!!  Dates is about right 1890 to about 1920 or anywhere inbetween !!  Its not unusual to find pieces with gargoyles and other forms from that period !!  I bet the wood is walnut !!  Kind of dark ??
Leave the wood alone if possible,, just clean and oil if needed !!  Do the upholstery as you wish !!   You might look when you take the old material off and see if there are any markings on the framework !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:16:26 pm »
Oh WOW!!  :o  Absolutely love it. Look at the feet! and do I see a glimpse of brass casters??

bethanne95376

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:45 pm »
There are brass caster... (wheels?) on the bottom of the legs. I posted somewhere else also and was told: wood is most likely figured birch stained to appear mahogany.  from 1920.  mixture of styles, victorian and empire but not of that period. Hmm.. I soo badly want to know where it was made and by whom. Why can't I find anything else like it anywhere?!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 12:40:05 am »
Howdy!

Can you post pics of the "innerds" of the material sections?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 05:13:08 am »
Its a bit odd but I have seen many of these pieces and rarely has one been marked by a manufacturer/ maker !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 04:16:57 pm »
Mart, In the Carolinas they manufacture pieces that look like period pieces and unique combinations.....th e innerds will reflect if it is more "modern" or older.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:49:31 pm »
Do they ?? Since it wasn`t the most popular of styles I would think they would make something a little more refined !!  I saw a lot of these pieces when I had my shop !! It was hard to give them away !! Yes, I know that construction will tell a lot !!  I just can`t remember ever seeing one with a makers name anywhere on it !!  From the color of that wood I would bet its an older piece !!

bethanne95376

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 08:27:52 pm »
The innerds appear to be "straw like" material. The nails holding what is left of the fabric on the chair also appear very old. Not modern nails. I will try and take a picture of it soon. The wheels on the bottom also seem original to the chair and very dated. My mother bought it at an estate sale about 35 years ago in Nebraska. She said there was a sofa matching it, but didn't purchase it.